CSO airframe opstempos

Hey all, I recently got selected as a CSO and I'm already thinking about the various airframes I could end up on and their opstempos. I don't personally mind one that deploys a little more often if I like the mission but my wife would obviously prefer I'm home. But it seems like the tempos don't vary that dramatically between platforms. Below are the various ones I could drop (though I understand this list will be smaller come drop night) and what I understand to be their tempos.

AFSOC -Gunships (deploy very often) -U-28 (slightly less often than gunships)

ISR -AWACS (not sure) -EC-130 (not very often, maybe the least of the list) -RC-135 (often) -WC/OC-135 (not sure) -JSTARS (often)

Mobility -C-130H (very often) -KC-135 (very often)

Fighter -Strike Eagle (not very often)

Bomber -Bone (somewhat often) -B-52 (often but regular)

Appreciate any insights!

Hey man. From a U28 perspective we deploy every 6 months for 3 months, so realistically expect to be out for half the year on a deployment. As always, things are changing and subject to change but for now bank on that with deployments. We can talk more if you'd like just send me a private message. 

• 1 month later...

I am in the same boat.

1. My question is how often would a CSO PCS if the bird they operate on only has one to three duty location? Would they do their entire career at that location or noice between those bases the airframe is based?

2. How long would it be before a CSO would be moved into more of leadership over flying?

3. What is the OPS tempo for the RJ as far as deployments/tdy/morale/family suitability?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, SirBriefs said:

I am in the same boat.

1. My question is how often would a CSO PCS if the bird they operate on only has one to three duty location? Would they do their entire career at that location or noice between those bases the airframe is based?

2. How long would it be before a CSO would be moved into more of leadership over flying?

3. What is the OPS tempo for the RJ as far as deployments/tdy/morale/family suitability?

1. Only one main operating base results in a lot of people staying on station for upwards of 7-8 years if you stay with your first MDS. At Offutt at least, they seem to try and move folks to staff or elsewhere no later than about the time you pin on O-4. Plenty of PCS opportunities exist earlier if you want to get out and see the world - whether to a different airframe, Pensacola or some people to the GSUs. 

2. Totally depends and things this year are different than they were last year, etc. If you’re in a line flying squadron, expect to fly & deploy at the same rate whether you’re a newly qual’d dude or someone that’s been there for 5 years. If you go to a group/wing job, definitely don’t deploy as much, maybe one 60 day trip every 12-18 months? 

3. RJ land seems to have slowed the deployment rates for a lot of folks recently. Dudes average 1-2 trips a year with many going to PACOM/EUCOM multiple times before they see the desert. In between deployments, there’s still Red Flag and Weapons School support but those are infrequent for a lot of people. At my busiest, I was gone maybe 200 days/year but then had slow years that had me gone only 60-75 days. The squadrons have had great leadership the last few years and everyone seemed very happy with where they were in life. Omaha is a great family-oriented city with KC/Chicago/Denver a short drive away if you want to get to a larger city.