Still Fighting for Fighters. What are my chances?

Checkmate

I was hesitant about posting here because due to my particular background and currently still being AD, it won't be too hard for people in my community to figure out who I am. That was dumb. I'm here to try and climb back in the cockpit, so people figuring out who I am doesn't matter one bit. I'm currently working on setting up applications for ANG  Fighter Wings  / Squadrons, but am not at all opposed to the Reserves or AD AF. I've tasted fighter life and having it snatched away for not being deemed qualified to land on a boat was a devastatingly humbling experience. It truly reoriented my world, however, through this adversity I've become laser focused and more determined than ever to achieve my dream of serving our country as a Fighter Pilot. To that end, what are my chances?

• Former F/A-18F WSO (2014 - 2017)
    • 1 Deployment
    • (more details if req'd)
  • Student Naval Aviator (2017 - 2019)
    • Completed Navy Advanced Strike Training (for F/A-18E/F or F-35 pipeline), but disqualified for Carrier Landings
    • (more details if req'd)

• Hours:
    • Pilot:
      • 313 Total
    • WSO:
      • 836 Total (241 Combat)
    • Combined Total: 1146 Hours

• AFOQT
    • Pilot: 99
    • Navigator: 99
    • Aptitude: 91
    • Verbal: 92
    • Quantitative: 82

• PCSM: 98

I'd be more than happy to supply any additional information that may be helpful, just let me know what I can do for you!

-Checkmate

Edited by Checkmate

I think it's going to be a squadron to squadron deal for that answer. Your scores and background are extremely solid and I don't know what board wouldn't want someone with those numbers, and especially someone that is prior service with a combat deployment.

However, back before I decided that the heavy track suited me best and was visiting different squadrons, one ANG F-16 unit I was at politely asked an individual to leave and not return after they discovered that he had gone through USN flight training all the way to the carrier landings where he was disqualified. He said that the reasoning they gave him was that he had "already had his shot and it didn't work out for him" and they wanted to give somebody that hadn't gotten their chance at fighters yet a shot, so that could be an issue that comes up.

With your scores and background though there's no reason not to give it a shot. Rush some units, get some feedback, see how things are going to shake out, and continue from there.

Edit to add: The commander of the ANG squadron also called the commander of the guys prior training squadron to ask about the guy, so there could have been something discovered in that phone call that aided in the decision to ask him to not return too, I'm not sure.

Edited by FlyingFisher

Thank you for the rapid reply! That's definitely something that will come up and at that point it could go either way. Hopefully they'll see the goods of my particular situation and experience instead of the others. 

I know of a young man in a very similar situation to the one you mentioned above. In the end, he got picked up by a different F-16 squadron. So far 2 of 2 people that were DQ'd for carrier landings have been picked up by ANG F or A squadrons. It's somewhat ironic that our experience works for us just as much as it works against us depending on who you're talking to!

I'm going to keep pressing. At this point I'm working on sussing out Meet & Greets and applications / application due dates.

Again, thank you for you reply. View points from others shine light on areas or ideas I may have overlooked. I appreciate it.

8 hours ago, Checkmate said:

Thank you for the rapid reply! That's definitely something that will come up and at that point it could go either way. Hopefully they'll see the goods of my particular situation and experience instead of the others. 

I know of a young man in a very similar situation to the one you mentioned above. In the end, he got picked up by a different F-16 squadron. So far 2 of 2 people that were DQ'd for carrier landings have been picked up by ANG F or A squadrons. It's somewhat ironic that our experience works for us just as much as it works against us depending on who you're talking to!

I'm going to keep pressing. At this point I'm working on sussing out Meet & Greets and applications / application due dates.

Again, thank you for you reply. View points from others shine light on areas or ideas I may have overlooked. I appreciate it.

Absolutely, your scores and background are very strong and as long as you can prove that you're a good dude I'm sure you'll find a fighter or attack squadron somewhere, and as always rushing stacks the deck in your favor even more.

Good luck and hopefully I'll give you a plug for some gas one day.