Transferring to the IRR

Looking for information from someone who has left the regular reserves (TR or IMA) and transferred to the IRR.  

I am looking to transfer, and then soon after get picked up by the PIRR (already have an ALO position worked out but waiting for the paperwork to go through)...but I want to transfer now.  

What happens when you transfer to the IRR without a job lined up already?  Is this when you get the dreaded “break in service” and lose your date of rank?

Are you medical records sent away to get lost in a storage facility to then need to be found and shipped back to your next unit?

Do you immediately lose your security clearance?  CAC card?

Do you set a “date of separation”, or is this an immediate / same day process (doubtful)?   Or do you walk into your FSS and get the paperwork for transferring to the IRR and then you separate when you sign the paperwork?  

Who signs your separation paperwork?  Sq/CC or Wg/CC or both?

Thanks for the information...this is a mysterious process and my FSS seems less than helpful.  Also most guys who have done this process are so thankful to GTFO that they seem to have pretty good amnesia on any helpful details (which I don’t blame them).  

On 8/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, rbigred300 said:

I am looking to transfer, and then soon after get picked up by the PIRR (already have an ALO position worked out but waiting for the paperwork to go through)...but I want to transfer now.  

What happens when you transfer to the IRR without a job lined up already?  Is this when you get the dreaded “break in service” and lose your date of rank?

I'm a little confused about your facts here. Help me understand.

The IRR is different from PIRR (Participating). With PIRR, also known as Cat E Reserves, you'd undergo an AF1288 unit transfer process after you were hired into your respective Cat E program.

Said another way, I don't think you can go into PIRR without having been hired into a Cat E program. The interview/hire has to happen first, so the 1288 can be coordinated between losing/gaining unit.

The IRR, however, is a truly inactive status that allows you to be recalled during the IRR period. That recall can be voluntary (you interview for a Cat A or Cat B position, get hired, and an AF1288 process pulls you up from Cat E), or involuntary like a draft. The second scenario is highly unlikely obviously.

I don't think it's possible for you to just transfer to PIRR without a job. Who's telling you that?