Post-selection craziness

Guest fosterbeer

Guest fosterbeer

Hello, I'll start by giving the timeline of events.

March 2004 - selected for pilot slot at board 0403.

March 2004 - took FC1

August 2004 - told I had a cavity and needed to get it fixed, was never told this 5 months earlier.

August 2004 - got tooth fixed, went back to base for dental checkup, was told the tooth next to it needed to be fixed as well.

September 2004 - had adjacent tooth fixed, faxed proof of dental work to Flight Medicine who took it to the AF dentist who then signed off on my FC1 (allegedly).

October 2004 - called recruiter several times trying to figure out what was going on, every time told he would look into it and call me back but never did.

November 2004 - Still no class date. Still no clue if the FC1 had been fully signed off on and approved. Still no clue what is going on.

I have tried calling the Airman responsible for my FC1 multiple times to find out if it was in fact signed off (I had no waivers so there shouldn't have been any issues). Either she doesn't return my call or tells me that she'll look into it and call back (which never happens.)

I have called my recruiter multiple times over the past weeks and months as well. In the past, he said he was just waiting on the Flight Medicine people to finish up. Apparently sometime in October, a new recruiter became responsible for me, however no one told me this. My new guy pretty much says the same thing, "You'll know when I know." The trouble is that I'm not quite sure he knows what is going on. Each time I'm told to call back in a week, and I have patiently waited since March for a class date. At this point though, it's a bit ridiculous.

My question is what is the best way to resolve this? I want to tread lightly because I know if piss someone off, they might "lose" my paperwork like it was before, and I'll be waiting till Thanksgiving of next year to hear word. I believe my old recruiter is now the lead recruiter person at the location I went, therefore I don't think it would do much good to talk to him about the situation.

I would prefer to talk directly to the people who schedule OTS class dates to see what information they still need for me to get a date, but I'm not sure who that would be. I called the number on the OTS website but no one there had an answer either. Who schedules OTS class dates? Some department in AETC? or somewhere at Maxwell AFB? If I call them would they be able to assist me or would they just refer me back to my recruiter?

Most importantly, is there a time limit on how long OTS slots are good for - it's been 8 months since I've been selected, if say..10 months pass and I haven't been assigned a class date, will I lose my slot?

So there you have it...20% is ranting, 80% is explanation and questions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

i went through just about the same ordeal. hang in there, youll get a word soon of whats to happen. its the holidays so things slow down a bit... when i went through my waiver last winter, part of me was thinking that this is a game recruiters play with selectees to see just how bad you want your slot.

cheers-

Guest jassayag

Ah yes, the old recruiter problem. Hang in there man. I know it sucks but i had a bunch of issues like that when i applied. It will happen eventually. My suggestion is to just call your recruiter once every week until you get word on your class date. Even if it sounds like he is getting pissed off, call to check up. Just be sure to be respectful and polite at all times. Good luck and hope to see you at OTS or UPT.

Guest jchrampanis

Dude, your recruiter blows as much as mine did. I quit my job after hearing of my selection to OTS (without a class date) and didn't land at Maxwell till 9 months later. OUCH! My knowledgeable recruiter also told me not to study for my AFOQT, stating it was only an assessment test. THANKS A LOT FOR THAT ONE - I HAD TO RETEST ONCE ON ACTIVE DUTY TO APPLY FOR A PILOT SLOT! Then he showed me a video on OTS that looked like it was made in 1977. Ohhhh, he also said I would never get a pilot slot. WELL F-HIM, I'm now sitting in casual waiting for my UPT class date to start.

I don't know what to tell you, other than don't listen to your recruiter and take things into your own hands. Call HQ in San Antonio till you find someone who can give you an answer to your OTS/UPT/Medical ???'s

Originally posted by Tokyo Johnny:

Dude, your recruiter blows as much as mine did. I quit my job after hearing of my selection to OTS (without a class date) and didn't land at Maxwell till 9 months later. OUCH! My knowledgeable recruiter also told me not to study for my AFOQT, stating it was only an assessment test. THANKS A LOT FOR THAT ONE - I HAD TO RETEST ONCE ON ACTIVE DUTY TO APPLY FOR A PILOT SLOT! Then he showed me a video on OTS that looked like it was made in 1977. Ohhhh, he also said I would never get a pilot slot. WELL F-HIM, I'm now sitting in casual waiting for my UPT class date to start.

That is FC. Just absolutely typical. I think they sign dudes up to be officer recruiters, and then they don't teach them anything about the actual program, or anything in general, and they encourage them to suck.

Guest deweygcc

My exp with a recruiter was second to hell. Thankfully a friend in high places called his boss, needless to say my recruiter was begging me for something he could help me with.

Guest thtflyer

My suggestion would be to take it up the chain of command. I was having similar problems with my recruiter back when I went through. Eventually I contacted his boss (a captain) and politely explained the situation. Suddenly he was returning my phone calls and actually following through on things he said he would do. Problem solved.

Dan,

Your package was just updated with your faxes about your dental work. The package is complete in the computer. Now it goes through the process of getting signed by: Dental, Optometry, Public Health, MEPS Commander, & AETC. That process can take as little as 1 day, but usually takes 3-5.

If there are any further problems with your package, you should find out next week.

After all parties electronically sign it, your file will be forwarded in full to AETC for the scheduling procedure. Not sure how long that takes.

Enjoy Thanksgiving, your package is being worked.

CAVOK

Guest Crash22

Dan,

I'm going through about the exact same scenario as you. I was selected for a pilot slot in June 2004 and took my FC1 early in Aug 2004. Recruiters were switched on me and know all I hear is that as soon as my medical is signed off I will get a class date. It has been at Randolph for 2 months now waiting for the SG to sign it off. My question is Does anyone know a contact number at the Surgeon Generals office to check the status.

For the rest reading this string.

tktktk: No, recruiters don't hold on to packages to see how badly you want it.

Yes, sometimes they give bad advise, but if you read through the info on this forum, you should have a better picture of the entire process & know the real story.

In Dan's case, the recruiter thought that since he didn't hear anything negative back from MEPS that the package must be at AETC for OTS scheduling. It is how it works almost every time. Unfortunately Dan's package got passed from one Airman to another, and the 2nd one just had some surgery...lots of things that slowed it down a little at a time. Very unfortunate, but there probably wasn't much the recruiter could do about it.

As far as the recruiter at this point in the process, the package is out of his hands. About all he can do is try to find out where it is along the way, but he really can't speed up the process.

This may sound a little like I am defending the system. I am not. I am merely trying to explain it to help lower everyone's blood pressure! By the way, from one phone call I could tell the MEPS person now handling the package is actually very sharp.

Crash22: You should probably just call the MEPS person who handled your case & ask him/her if they would find out if there is a problem with the package that you need to work. If they are willing to make that call, it will probably jump the stack and get signed (assuming no problems).

I would not try calling the SG yourself. You never want for a medical person to pay "special attention" to your package.

Good luck.

CAVOK

Originally posted by CAVOK:

You never want for a medical person to pay "special attention" to your package.

Unless the burning when you pee becomes unbearable... hehe.

Seriously, though, there are good recruiters out there as well. Mine bent over backwards to help me out, as my application had more than a few bumps along the road. He was extremely helpful and stayed on top of things well. His boss (an O-5) had already told him specifically that she wouldn't approve any morale waivers, but he had the sack to bring my case to her attention anyway and now I'm here. Sometimes the system is just slow, and there is not much that a SSGT can really do about it.

Guest flynwithstyle

Sometimes we forget that our recruiters have a lot more than just our application. It is to bad that some of them don't try as hard as others. My recruiter has no idea what is going on, but he did take my husband golfing while I took my AFOQT.

CAVOK, you are awsome and sure have added a lot to this web site.

Amy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fosterbeer

Update -

After an eigth month wait, the Airman FINALLY has my approved FC1 back from the SG's office (Thank you Cavok and Mike Murphy.) I'm physically picking it up from the Airman tomorrow.

HOWEVER -

Where does my FC1 go from here? Obviously the OTS scheduler people need to get a copy, but do they automatically receive one electronically? If not, where do I need to mail it and/or what OTS scheduling people do I need to contact?

My recruiter has been unable to explain to me the process, mainly because he does not answer his phone or return calls.

I was planning on taking my FC1, driving to his office (2hrs away) and sitting there until he appears. When he does, I'll personally watch him fill out whatever necessary forms there are, stamp and address the envelope, and then I will take it myself to the postal service.

So yeah, that's that... Any thoughts?

Thanks