Hearing DQ

mrgrey

I just got notified today that I was Permanently DQ'd for a pilot slot from Unsponsored AFRC. My recruiter sent up my documents with passing MEPS physical besides hearing and 4 outside audiograms showing 35db @500hz and MRI showing normal. Rest of my hearing is normal 5-10db across all frequencies. ENTs cant figure out why I have hearing loss. Anyways recruiter says that Surgeon General denied my waiver and that this is end of the road. The thing is, I  don't remember signing any waiver documents like I have in the past for a shoulder surgery, also it was a really short turn around than before.

Can it really go straight to Surgeon General without a waiver? Maybe I am not understanding the process?

Anyone get a hearing waiver recently or know someone that successfully fought a DQ for hearing? Is this really the end of the road or does it sound like the recruiter does not want to risk wasting any time?

You are eligible for a waiver per the waiver guide, because you are an H2 due to only one frequency in one ear. You do not sign or formally request a waiver--it's all routed with or without you, unless you specifically ask to withdraw from the Recruiting process.

Your first major step is to determine which office actually disqualified you? There are several waiver middle men. AFRC/RS, AFRC/SG, or AETC/SG? Most likely it was RS (Recruiting), who is not the actual authority but they act as a gate keeper. If it was Recruiting, you can absolutely fight it.

• Upvote 1

I am working with an Air Force Reserve Officer recruiter. He told me that he sent my papers up which were reviewed by a or the Surgeon General who made the decision I was Permanently Disqualified.  Exact words "spoke to the SG and they stated that there is no option for a waiver and that your waiver is denied" . That my package was sent up for review but was intercepted by the SG and stamped PDQ.

So from his words, its a little unclear whether or not there was an actual waiver but that for sure the SG denied.  I also had a shoulder Labrum repair orthopedic surgery that he said got denied but think that was BS. It was from 8 years ago and I even got the surgeon who repaired to recently write a letter saying i'm 100% fit for duty. Also I might not have passed Depth Perception, made it to D, but I have a slight astigmatism which if I wear glasses can get to E but did not wear at MEPS cause I'm only 20/25 but can squint to 20/20.

So if it was AFRC/SG do I have any other options? Exception to policy?

At this point my recruiter even said that once this happens he is advised to just stop working with me. He then even advised me to try NAVY.  I am 25 btw.

Edited by mrgrey

Yep I had this. hearing was bad in my left ear was that put me at H2 right from the start. I was PDQ in ROTC but my commander let me take the test one more time let me try again. I spammed the hearing test button until the tests show that I could basically hear paranormal activity after that I was allowed to submit a package for a pilot slot and was picked up and I've been flying ever since. When I arrived to my UPT base and did my initial flight physical there they showed me has been having bad hearing but since I was already commissioned and at the base getting a waiver was extremely simple and basically automatic. So from my experience your best bet is to just get commissioned to be a pilot and try and get the waivers after the fact because that's what I did and it worked perfect for me now I don't have to worry about the waivers at all since I'm already a pilot my hearing is understood to be getting s***** overtime. See if you can retake the test and spam the button when you take the hearing test. To convince them to let me take the test I got three different hearing test from 3 different audiology offices to show them my hearing was good enough to convince them I was worth letting take the AF test again. I hope this helps good luck 

Also I might not have passed Depth Perception, made it to D, but I have a slight astigmatism which if I wear glasses can get to E but did not wear at MEPS cause I'm only 20/25 but can squint to 20/20.

So if it was AFRC/SG do I have any other options? Exception to policy?

At this point my recruiter even said that once this happens he is advised to just stop working with me. He then even advised me to try NAVY.  I am 25 btw.

Always, always, always wear your glasses for the depth perception test. You are only screwing yourself if you don't. There is zero requirement to be able to do it without your glasses if you have glasses.

A, B, or C is a fail. D, E, or F is a pass. You typically test corrected and that's the one that counts.

AETC/SG is the only authority that can actually DQ. Everybody else in between is a barrier with no real authority, but annoying people that well try to stymie you. Now, that isn't all bad for the Air Force; keeping out the easy "No's" speeds up dispositions and routing. But this forum exists to give you an unfair advantage and use regulation to your benefit. Push until you get an official response from the owning office.

On 2/20/2016 at 9:38 PM, WayUp said:

Yep I had this. hearing was bad in my left ear was that put me at H2 right from the start. I was PDQ in ROTC but my commander let me take the test one more time let me try again. I spammed the hearing test button until the tests show that I could basically hear paranormal activity after that I was allowed to submit a package for a pilot slot and was picked up and I've been flying ever since. When I arrived to my UPT base and did my initial flight physical there they showed me has been having bad hearing but since I was already commissioned and at the base getting a waiver was extremely simple and basically automatic. So from my experience your best bet is to just get commissioned to be a pilot and try and get the waivers after the fact because that's what I did and it worked perfect for me now I don't have to worry about the waivers at all since I'm already a pilot my hearing is understood to be getting s***** overtime. See if you can retake the test and spam the button when you take the hearing test. To convince them to let me take the test I got three different hearing test from 3 different audiology offices to show them my hearing was good enough to convince them I was worth letting take the AF test again. I hope this helps good luck 

Thanks for reply. Got 3 outside audiograms, 35db was the best I can get. But yea, my problem is Its a intial FC1. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, deaddebate said:

A, B, or C is a fail. D, E, or F is a pass. You typically test corrected and that's the one that counts.

AETC/SG is the only authority that can actually DQ. Everybody else in between is a barrier with no real authority, but annoying people that well try to stymie you. Now, that isn't all bad for the Air Force; keeping out the easy "No's" speeds up dispositions and routing. But this forum exists to give you an unfair advantage and use regulation to your benefit. Push until you get an official response from the owning office.

Asked for official DQ papers, will upload if and when I get.

The recruiter also mention that the SG PDQ me for a right shoulder surgery from 2007. The MEPS examiner noted Chondromalacia and instability, both corrected with the surgery. Have a letter from the Orthopedic that says I am 100% fit for duty but appears it held no weight. The shoulder feels fine and I have no problems with PT and heavy weights. The Dr. at MEPS didn't even check my shoulder, he just copied what he read in my Medical reports. In all honesty, I probably should have never told them about, scars are pretty small, I guess I didn't think it would be such a big deal.

Any chance this is waiverable as well? Feels like i'm getting shafted from all angles.

Edited by mrgrey