ANG pilot wanna-be, what are my chances?

roto

Hello,

I'd like to get some perspective from you guys, I'll list what I got while still trying to maintain my anonymity. My current approach isn't working so I'm turning to the internet for some constructive criticism, i'm sure there's no shortage here.

I'm currently enlisted in the guard (E-4)

I have my PPL with only about 69 hours

GPA 3.3 in History

PCSM 75 (would be 87 with 201+ hrs if anybody cares)

AFOQT 90/80/40/60/30 (or something like that)

I got a couple decent LOR's one from my commander and one from my flight instructor

volunteer fire fighter

In college I was on a few club teams and I tutored history.

I know I need to re-take those tests, so I've been working harder to get better at the math. I do my thing at drill, but I don't have any awards or anything. Basically, what more can I do to improve myself/package and most importantly stand out to the guys on the board. I've sent out 5 applications and I've received the no-go from each.

I'm only applying to fighter squadrons

Thanks

Drop into the drills of the unit you're applying to. Hand-carry applications and maybe bring some social lubricant to thank them for their time. Also, just be a good dude. A/D hiring tends to be more objective, but ANG/AFRES is pretty subjective (because they can be). Having the scores and ratings help, but you as a person and a "dude/dudette" is measured by the hiring board.

I'm guessing your no-gos are more a result of a filtering metric where you don't meet certain minimums they've established. Otherwise you seem like you have a good shot.

Talking to people and getting your foot in the door is probably the best way to proceed until you bump up those scores. People do get hired with lower scores though.

I think you're both right. I suppose it's about that time in the process to start meeting people and building some sort of dialogue. Maybe I need to adjust my focus toward spending time and money on travelling to these squadrons and meeting people, rather than spending it on random accolades and other schemes I put together to look good on paper; or maybe it's a balance of both.

Maybe, or just finding a contact within a squadron. I wouldn't spend a ton of money going to drill weekends around the country.

You can keep doing things that you think will set you apart from the other guys. But again, probably the best thing you can do is to prepare for acing those tests the next time around. You're pretty young so you have a lot of time.

• 3 weeks later...