KC-10 Training

Guest DILLA

Guest mr_gordon777

From what I have read, Altus trains only C5, C17 and KC135 crews. If this is true, where do KC10 crews get their training? At their home bases, ie: Travis, McGuire?

[ 13. September 2006, 13:22: Message edited by: robot_chicken ]

Travis and McGuire each have their own CCTS (Combat Crew Training School), a SAC legacy which has been changed to FTU (booo AMC). Each OSS maintains its own FTU.

When I was there, they handled all the initial and upgrade training wing-wide, although things may be a little different with the whole MPD thing.

The school house is at both bases. You start at Boeing (soon to be Flight Safety), where you do all your systems computer training and sim training. Once finished with that, you then go to the FTU (another squadron on base) and start flying. After finishing FTU you return to your squadron. It's all in house, though once in awhile you may have to do the sim portion at the other base. I dont know how often this happens. Dont know anyone who did that, but there was one from Travis at McGuire going through Boeing at the time I was. Any other questions about training or anything -10 related PM me.

Originally posted by Sneedro:

The school house is at both bases. You start at Boeing (soon to be Flight Safety), where you do all your systems computer training and sim training. Once finished with that, you then go to the FTU (another squadron on base) and start flying. After finishing FTU you return to your squadron. It's all in house, though once in awhile you may have to do the sim portion at the other base. I dont know how often this happens. Dont know anyone who did that, but there was one from Travis at McGuire going through Boeing at the time I was. Any other questions about training or anything -10 related PM me.

How long does all of the training take? And, how long from the start of training until you are Mission Qual'd?? Just curious.

Guest jaybird141

Just over 2 months at Boeing (CBT's and Sims). After your Sim Check, 2 - 2 1/2 months at the FTU. Another Check, and off to the squadron. Mission Ready = 1 Fighter Drag, 1 Cargo run, Tactics sim. + all of your standard ground goodies (chem, 9mm, etc.) That is for a PIQ2, I believe PIQ1 is about the same. So about 6 months or so, it all depends on the schedule.

edit: oops... ment 2 months at Boeing, must have been the CBT's

[ 18. September 2006, 00:07: Message edited by: Jay ]

Boeing didnt take long here at McGuire. I think it was maybe just a month and a half or so before our checkride (mid-sept thru end of Nov). Then 2-2 1/2 months is about the average depending on number of studs in FTU at the time. Mine took just under 2 months, whereas others took a little more. As far as mission qual'd goes, same thing...just depends. You have 90 days, but as with everything, if the trips dont drop it may take longer. If there are a lot of trips dropping it may not take long at all. But I agree with Jay an average is 5-6 months to be fully mission ready. Mine took about 4 1/2 to finish FTU and once I started flying with the squadron, after a short no flying and ASBC stint, another 20 days or so to be fully mission qual'd.

[ 16. September 2006, 14:22: Message edited by: Sneedro ]