ANG Surgeon General Waivers

pittsdriver

Quick question, I am trying to get back into the guard after a 4 year break in service, meaning I will have to go to MEPS again, My unit (recruiter)is saying after submitting my info to MEPS that it could take up to 5 Surgeon General Waivers to get back in. He says he could see one get approved but not up to 5. Is he right or just not willing to put in the work? His tone indicates he does not want to submit the waivers. Still waiting to hear from the OG though. Am I screwed? Do the SG waivers get any special consideration due to being previous active duty for 10 years opposed to a newbie off the street?

Quick question, I am trying to get back into the guard after a 4 year break in service, meaning I will have to go to MEPS again, My unit (recruiter)is saying after submitting my info to MEPS that it could take up to 5 Surgeon General Waivers to get back in. He says he could see one get approved but not up to 5. Is he right or just not willing to put in the work? His tone indicates he does not want to submit the waivers. Still waiting to hear from the OG though. Am I screwed? Do the SG waivers get any special consideration due to being previous active duty for 10 years opposed to a newbie off the street?

I would have to say it would depend on what they are for. slightly over the visual acuity threshold? prob not a big deal. blind in both eyes? not so good

Sorry for not replying to this sooner, but I didn't see it in the other sub forum. For everybody else, please post waiver questions here in "Aviation Medicine."

On to your question, you get a few points as a previously qualified aviator with less than a 5 year break in service. Over 5 essentially resets most of your clearances. You'll most likely qualify to apply for a FCII instead of an IFCI/1A. It's a fairly lower bar and indicates you're a trained aviator. However, since your break is greater than six months, you also must meet accession standards rather than just retention.

Also, I imagine you or your recruiter mean you have 5 conditions that need a waiver rather than 5 individual waivers. Anyway, I'm no mathemagician, but I've heard of the number 5, and that's, like, a really big number.

1, sure. 2, it's possible. 3+? We need to break out the abacus and you ought to start using your rosary beads. When you flew before, did you have an approved waiver for most of the conditions or are they new developments?

If you're dedicated and determined, fight it and get help from your gaining unit for operational pressu.... er, uh, I mean "support."

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• 1 month later...

Great posts, Doc, I appreciate your insight as well as the AFI cites you have given in your other postings---all very helpful indeed. On this theme, of "Zombie with Herpes" (no offense Pitts, I'm thinking of the same track) I mean old guy coming back to fly, post five years, no prior waivers ever needed, still excellent health, if I ended up with an FCII would it get me in the door and then later allow me to fly, or does it mean that FCII solely qualifies one to fly a desk and not a jet? Thanks for the insights, and great question, Pitts, sincerely, you must bring something to the table so hopefully your OG leadership's efforts will aid your efforts. I'm sure that helps a lot too. Best of luck!

Edited by Vlnm

A straight FCII qualifies you to fly, waivers and all. Waivers are often mindful of your gaining position and if you are not likely to fly frequently or have some unique position with few mission demands, that can (and often is) included in the waiver phrasing (or you can try to include your own letter from the gaining CC). However, if you need that support to get the waiver approved, and the expectation is you were only approved because you will do only that single job, it is much more likely you will get a limited flying clearance, such as IIA (low-G aircraft only), IIB (non-ejection aircraft only), IIC (other, as specified in notes), or IIU (RPA only).