Optic Neuritis Waiver?

izzlenizzle

Good afterrnoon gentlemen,

I have an optic neuritis disorder only on my left eye. I can see well, I'm just a little sensitive to light on my left eye and can't see the color red as I can with my right eye (about 10% greyer). I've done some researching and can't find if waivers exist for this condition. Can anyone shed some light based on experience?

It is disqualifying.

MSD, para. C49:

Optic neuritis, of any kind, including retrobulbar neuritis, papillitis, neuroretinitis, or a documented history of same.

The waiver guide is linked in my signature--the applicable entry is (obviously) "Optic Neuritis." For an initial pilot applicant, there is no waiver potential. Additionally, a potential color deficiency is very likely the nail in the coffin. If you want to "fly," your best chance is for a non-pilot/WSO slot, like 13BX, 18U, or another RPA/GBC/FCIII position. You'll still need a waiver, but your chances of being approved are much better.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Thanks for your quick reply. Okay, I see... But to my understanding I may get partial to full recovery of vision within several months with/without treatment for my condition. I'm still in college and an not going to apply for any UPT boards just yet. What if my eyeball starts working normal again?

btw I couldn't get the wiaver guide link in your signiture to work...

Edited by izzlenizzle

Right-click the link and save as. Don't try to open the file in your browser.

The MSD states that any history is disqualifying, but the waiver doesn't really address that. I'm guessing a waiver is possible if the condition resolves, as that particular entry hasn't been updated for some time, but there's no certainty.

Unfortunately there is no waiver potential for initial FCI (pilot) or IA (CSO). The only potential for an initial FC II (RPA) or III would be if you had a normal MRI and then wait 10 years without having any other episodes.

Unfortunately there is no waiver potential for initial FCI (pilot) or IA (CSO). The only potential for an initial FC II (RPA) or III would be if you had a normal MRI and then wait 10 years without having any other episodes.

I'll defer to 81L BLR. He knows much more than I do about the vision standards and waivers.

There is some information in a 2010 Federal Air Surgeon's Bulletin regarding the risk of optic neuritis recurrence and development of multiple sclerosis as the underlying reason why waivers for initial flying class applicants are not considered. Page 9 of the pdf at the following link. http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201003_color.pdf