Changing Home of Record

Spinner

Did a search, but no luck. Is it possible to change your home of record? I remember someone told me you could do it once in your career, but at the point I wasn't interested. Anyone know of someone who did it, and what kind of asspain process they went through to get it changed?

Originally posted by Spinner:

Did a search, but no luck. Is it possible to change your home of record? I remember someone told me you could do it once in your career, but at the point I wasn't interested. Anyone know of someone who did it, and what kind of asspain process they went through to get it changed?

Someone else may know some other way, but this is what I was told long ago. Home of Record is the address/residence you have when you enter the military. You can change your HOR if you have a break in service. Otherwise, you cannot. For an officer, you typically do not have a break in service, but for an enlisted guy, technically each time you re-enlist you have a break in service. Have you ever walked into a crusty old Chief's office and seen a ton of discharge certificates on the wall? Well, each time the enlistment period is up, they get discharged and then they start a new period of enlistment. So, they could change the HOR upon each enlistment, if they wanted. If that's not quite right then all I'll say is that was the way it was explained to me.

My question would be why do you want/need to change your HOR anyway?

Guest sleepy

Good luck. I've been trying to change my mailing address for months without any luck. Can't imagine the headaches associated with trying to change HOR.

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by sleepy:

Good luck. I've been trying to change my mailing address for months without any luck. Can't imagine the headaches associated with trying to change HOR.

There is an option to change your address on MyPay. Have you tried that?