Guard or reserves after break in service?

All, just looking for some advice here. I got out of active duty in July 2010. I have been running my own business since then and flying on the side to keep current with and end goal of getting on with a major. I got hired by a regional with a class in June (have a pulse, you are hired) but think I would rather get back into the guard or reserves part time. Also, since I have 10 years in might as well not lose that time and try to get some kind of retirement out of it (if retirements are still around in 10 years) Looking for others who had a 2-3 year break in service who got back in via the guard/reserves. I have a B-52/T-38 background and would probably prefer a AETC part time gig or something like a KC-135, C-17, C-130 unit, etc. Any advice would be appreciated who were in a similar situation and made it work.

Also, for those who were completely out and got back in, how long was that process? Any obstacles?

Edited by pittsdriver

Do you want to fly? I was in a Guard AOC unit and we hired rated guys ( AF, Navy and Marine) in 2010 to present that had been out since 1998 (even had one that had a 21 year break in service). Their biggest obstacles were security clearance, physical (had to be flying because it is a rated billet), tracking down miscellaneous paperwork they had long thrown away (things like proving they were actually commissioned, FEF). Some of the guys were able to come on in 4 months but most took 6-8months.

The unique thing about the AOC is we need experience (cannot hire new LTs and Airmen for the majority of the roles). Many of those who had a break in service had the skill set we needed. Your Buff experience is a rare commodity in the AOC world (at least the AOC I was in) and could allow you a quick entry back into the service.

I have since left the AOC and transferred to a flying unit (I did not have a break in service). For me it was timing -- all the old LTCs who had been on waivers for staying past their useful life were shown the door -- I showed up cold did not know anyone in the unit - got an interview and was hired within a month, this was with the unit knowing that I have to go back for re-qual. Again this was right place/ right time, having a diverse skill set and interviewing well.

I cannot speak to the guard/reserve aspect as I have always been AD or Guard. I did work with the reserves a lot. Seemed to be a better gig because they got Title 10 orders vs. Title 32.

Right now I believe you are in a good spot as most of the units need people due to the previous reason I spoke of concerning guys who are being shown the door.

If you are in Ft. Smith AR look up the 154th out of St. Louis. They support PACAF. Soooo TDY to Hickam and Asia. The obstacles I mentioned apply to both the AOC and flying units. If the unit wants you it is just a waiting game to get all your paperwork in and you should be fine.

PM me if you have anymore specific questions.

Greg, thanks for the info. At this point, I would take a non-flying gig to get back in. If I have to do that to get in, so be it. Once in it should be easy to get back to a flying unit. Going to start talking to some AETC IP squadrons and go from there. I would take a UAV here but they are not hiring anytime soon since they are still in the transition and will not lose all the A-10s until next summer. If people know of units anywhere looking for people, will take that info too!

Edited by pittsdriver