Distance from military care provider required to see a local civilian provider?

ARAMP1

So I live in P-cola stationed with the navy. I've been seeing the orthodontist at Eglin, which is an hour and a half drive away.

I really don't mind the drive and I'm happy with the care provided, however there have been some issues. Today, I had an appointment that had been canceled on me before, so before I made the drive today, I called to make sure I was still good to go. I was told yes, so I proceeded on my way to Eglin. Well, as luck would have it, I got a call right as I was about to pull through the gate...my doctor needed to cancel my appointment...30 minutes prior to my appointment time. So, not only did it take an act of God to get off the flying schedule so I could make it to my appointment, I drove an hour and a half each way for nothing after calling to confirm my appointment. Not only that, but if I call them to canx 30 min prior, my commander hears about it and I'm supposedly in trouble. (Not that my navy skipper would give two s**ts, but an E-3 or E-4 would get hounded).

So, I suppose my question is, isn't there some distance that is deemed "too far" and I could see a local provider? Not sure what reg to even start with.

So I live in P-cola stationed with the navy. I've been seeing the orthodontist at Eglin, which is an hour and a half drive away. I really don't mind the drive and I'm happy with the care provided, however there have been some issues. Today, I had an appointment that had been canceled on me before, so before I made the drive today, I called to make sure I was still good to go. I was told yes, so I proceeded on my way to Eglin. Well, as luck would have it, I got a call right as I was about to pull through the gate...my doctor needed to cancel my appointment...30 minutes prior to my appointment time. So, not only did it take an act of God to get off the flying schedule so I could make it to my appointment, I drove an hour and a half each way for nothing after calling to confirm my appointment. Not only that, but if I call them to canx 30 min prior, my commander hears about it and I'm supposedly in trouble. (Not that my navy skipper would give two s**ts, but an E-3 or E-4 would get hounded). So, I suppose my question is, isn't there some distance that is deemed "too far" and I could see a local provider? Not sure what reg to even start with.
I had to ask around to get all the information for this one, as I've had similar questions in the past but I always just referred them to patient management, however I wanted to know the answer too. The Tricare Service Manual and Tricare Provider Handbook are apparently the only "regulation" you will find on empanellment, as the process is really a Tricare/DOD program and the Air Force is only a slice of the pie. These standards may vary between installations, and you may be successful in seeking care exclusively at one MTF.

You are supposed to see the PCM in the MTF closest to you for general care, and that MTF should provide all ancillary services too. I suspect you need to go to Eglin for orthodontics is because you are receiving optional care on a space-available basis. If you are receiving necessary care, yes, you ought to be seen by as a local referral, and if "local" is over 100 miles, you get special entitlements. I believe you can apply for compensation for any distance (obviously it'd be a hell of a lot less for a trip <25 miles). However, again, I'm thinking you are receiving what the Air Force/DOD would consider "elective care," which the AIr Force is graciously giving to you (mostly) free--so you shouldn't get any compensation.

Verify with your dentist, which I'm guessing is in/around the Pensacola MTF if you don't already know, whether you medically NEED this care to continue military service. Otherwise, pay out of pocket.

I had to ask around to get all the information for this one, as I've had similar questions in the past but I always just referred them to patient management, however I wanted to know the answer too. The Tricare Service Manual and Tricare Provider Handbook are apparently the only "regulation" you will find on empanellment, as the process is really a Tricare/DOD program and the Air Force is only a slice of the pie. These standards may vary between installations, and you may be successful in seeking care exclusively at one MTF.

You are supposed to see the PCM in the MTF closest to you for general care, and that MTF should provide all ancillary services too. I suspect you need to go to Eglin for orthodontics is because you are receiving optional care on a space-available basis. If you are receiving necessary care, yes, you ought to be seen by as a local referral, and if "local" is over 100 miles, you get special entitlements. I believe you can apply for compensation for any distance (obviously it'd be a hell of a lot less for a trip <25 miles). However, again, I'm thinking you are receiving what the Air Force/DOD would consider "elective care," which the AIr Force is graciously giving to you (mostly) free--so you shouldn't get any compensation.

Verify with your dentist, which I'm guessing is in/around the Pensacola MTF if you don't already know, whether you medically NEED this care to continue military service. Otherwise, pay out of pocket.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if it qualifies as elective, but I think I'm right inside of 100 miles.