Passed over in IRR

Practically no one in the USAFR IRR gets promoted ever. For example there was no one this past board and only 1 IRR member (a chaplain) was promoted. So those who go to IRR will get passed over on the first board, then the second, then will be discharged from reserve 7 months later which means that they lose their reserve commission.

Opinion: After this I'm pretty sure you're totally done for any more commissioned service, barring a waiver or needs of the service. See this link: http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=8591

Enlisting may or may not be possible. Check out this thread for more conjecture/anecdotal evidence:

http://www.airlinepi...ion-boards.html

Edited by Chida

My Dad has been an IRR Major for the last 20 years. Granted, he took an incentive to separate under the Clinton/Bush cuts, so maybe that changed things, but I'm pretty sure he's still eligible to join the ANG (he entertained the idea for a bit), he was called up for a physical after 9/11, he gets his ID card updated regularly and it's still a Major Reserve ID, so in other words, it's been 20 years and he's still a Major. Plus Army officers have been getting called up years after they separated and became IRR. I always thought you were an officer for life unless you officially resign your commission... Am I missing something?

Well, think I found a loophole. My DD214 says resignation, so through the BCMR I will be able to have any record of being in the IRR removed as well as the two non-selects for promotion as well. With this obstacle gone, I can get back into the guard or reserve. So, if you get passed over and get out and don't have a guard or reserve job lined up, maybe better off to resign your commission instead of getting put in the IRR where you will get passed over twice and done for good.

Edited by pittsdriver

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a dude in our unit get passed over, found out he's DNRed because without him knowing he had been passed over once in the IRR. It's a total outrage being we can't even keep people from coming to our unit in fokin Mars. The dude is a Captain type as well. I haven't researched the specifics about it but I sure hope we go to bat for the guy and/or find a way of rectifying that situation.

I had no idea the IRR was such a PITA for young guys with breaks in service. Food for thought for sure.

Well, think I found a loophole. My DD214 says resignation, so through the BCMR I will be able to have any record of being in the IRR removed as well as the two non-selects for promotion as well. With this obstacle gone, I can get back into the guard or reserve. So, if you get passed over and get out and don't have a guard or reserve job lined up, maybe better off to resign your commission instead of getting put in the IRR where you will get passed over twice and done for good.

Are you saying you got placed in the IRR by mistake? I don't think one could just make IRR pass-overs just disappear..

Edited by hindsight2020

If you have more than 8 years service you are not supposed to have any IRR commitment unless you got paid to separate which I did not. AFPC said mine would get corrected and my two deferrals from the IRR would be gone.