125th FS Hiring 1-2 Traditionals

Here is some information up front:

- This is not for UPT applicants.

- We are looking to hire 1-2 current / qualified F-16 pilots. We would consider a TX course for fighter drivers from other platforms or if non-current.

- This is for a traditional Guardsman position within the unit. There have historically been good full-time opportunities for pilots joining the unit, but it is not guaranteed.

- We have a 50 mile rule. You must reside within 50 miles of Tulsa IAP.

- We fly Block 42, MMC 5.2+ jets with -229's.

- If interested, please PM me with your contact info.

You got me.

Is it legal or not? Serious question.

To be clear: you don't have to live within 50 miles of Tulsa at the time you are hired. However, once hired you are required to move within 50 miles of the airport.

It's been our policy for a long time and I know it's been tested in the past (I'm not sure whether legally or otherwise), and upheld. I would think the law would give unit commanders discretion over how far their troops can live from the base.

To be clear: you don't have to live within 50 miles of Tulsa at the time you are hired. However, once hired you are required to move within 50 miles of the airport.

It's been our policy for a long time and I know it's been tested in the past (I'm not sure whether legally or otherwise), and upheld. I would think the law would give unit commanders discretion over how far their troops can live from the base.

So no one from the Sq lives in Oklahoma City...

Roger. I have heard of tacit rules like that but I thought hard rules regarding maximum distance from the base were not legal.

I doubt it is. They just don't want to pay travel costs when the member goes on AT orders. I bet the rule is not uniformly enforced either.

I was in a Guard fighter squadron that had that rule then didn't have that rule....and it was a disaster. I am not sure any of the "commuters" ever went a whole year without being on RAP probation. I won't speak for Tulsa (or any ANG unit) but I bet it has more to do with unit combat effectiveness/morale than paying travel costs for AT orders.

Fair enough. And with WX/MX cancels and other things you cannot control, it can be pretty tough for a traditional to stay current. However, seems like that's a training issue and not a commute issue. I'll bet you would have the same problem with a pilot who is working a 9-5 regular job, instead of flying for the airlines. Can you ban those too? I'm being a little over the top here, but the whole point of the Guard is the traditional force, but it seems like sometimes its the other way around, like maybe this case.

Units are all very different. For example, many units have mandatory drill (no excuses for your Aword schedule or cat ate your lucky gym shorts or a rock in your shoe or the sun was in your eyes) while many do not.

I kind of like the big boy approach, which is supposed to be one of the benefits of a Guard unit.

Give adequate availability, show up prepared and on time and be a good team mate and you can live on Mars as far as I am concerned.

Units are all very different. For example, many units have mandatory drill (no excuses for your Aword schedule or cat ate your lucky gym shorts or a rock in your shoe or the sun was in your eyes) while many do not.

I kind of like the big boy approach, which is supposed to be one of the benefits of a Guard unit.

Give adequate availability, show up prepared and on time and be a good team mate and you can live on Mars as far as I am concerned.

Amen brotha....