FC1 DQ Questions

Question about allergies. I have seasonal allergies (ragweed,pollen etc.) but they are easily controlled bt OTC meds. I am not worried about that but when I was very little (I don't remember it, but was told by my mother), I had a mild skin reaction to penicillin/amoxicillin. I have been told my parents for my entire life that I am allegic to these, and have told all my doctors etc that I am.

I am not sure if it has been actually tested and/or documented that I am allergic to these but either way. If I am allergic to these, is this disqualifying? Should I be worried?

I was just hired by an F-16 Unit and am naturally, frantically going through anything that could go wrong in my physical.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Question about allergies. I have seasonal allergies (ragweed,pollen etc.) but they are easily controlled bt OTC meds. I am not worried about that but when I was very little (I don't remember it, but was told by my mother), I had a mild skin reaction to penicillin/amoxicillin. I have been told my parents for my entire life that I am allegic to these, and have told all my doctors etc that I am.

I am not sure if it has been actually tested and/or documented that I am allergic to these but either way. If I am allergic to these, is this disqualifying? Should I be worried?

I was just hired by an F-16 Unit and am naturally, frantically going through anything that could go wrong in my physical.

i wouldnt worry too much about the childhood stuff, i was allergic to an antibiotic too, doctor said most children are allergic to some antibiotic or another due to still being developing, i would give me stomachaches.

the OTC allergies, unless you are documented by a doctor with these allergies, i dont see how it is even relevant to their questions.

for the record i have no official experience as im in the same boat as you, just offering a voice of support!

Guest Grind

i wouldnt worry too much about the childhood stuff, i was allergic to an antibiotic too, doctor said most children are allergic to some antibiotic or another due to still being developing, i would give me stomachaches.

the OTC allergies, unless you are documented by a doctor with these allergies, i dont see how it is even relevant to their questions.

for the record i have no official experience as im in the same boat as you, just offering a voice of support!

Your spelling and grammar is in need of improvement.

Your spelling and grammar is in need of improvement.

Shouldn't it say "Your spelling and grammar ARE in need of improvement" ?

I am sorry that I was responding from my cellphone while traveling.

You chastise my spelling and grammar, yet post no helpful info in regards to the OP?

We're supposed to be here to help one another! :)

Edited by dvlax40

---

bzubrod

---

dvlax40 SNAP

---

AFI 48-123 - 6.44.2.2.1. A verified history of allergic, nonallergic, or vasomotor rhinitis, after age 12, unless symptoms are mild and can be controlled by a single approved medication.

The approved medication list is frequently changing. I won't post it here, but you should be able to ask for a copy from your Flight Surgeon. There is also an approved OTC med list which is a little more stable.

Allergy to medications shouldn't mean anything. Allergy to immunizations is the only real concern, and that is very rare.

See my signature for a link to the waiver guide if you want more info.

All in all, it doesn't look like this is too serious.

• 2 weeks later...

I take Clariton to clear up my allergies and have no side effects from it. I was also offered the option to ground test Allegra prior to starting UPT if I wanted, but the flight docs (both at Wright-Patt and at my UPT base) had no problems with me taking Clariton as long as there are no side effects. I would imagine that if you took Clariton or Allegra you would be fine, just make sure you are up-front about it and you should have no problems.

If you are allergic to a specific medicine (like an anti-biotic,) they will probably just annotate it in your medical records for the record. It should have no bearing on your FC1. At some point, if they feel its an issue, they may suggest a test to see if you really are allergic. I once flew with a guy who was allergic to shellfish...he just didn't eat any.