Citizenship and ROTC/Academy

DeHavilland

All,

I am married to a German citizen who only hold German citizenship and I won't ask her to change that. Our daughter holds dual US/German citizenship. She would like to apply for an ROTC scholarship or an academy appointment. As a prospective officer, does she have to give up her German citizenship to make these things possible?

To be eligible to enter the Academy you must be:

• A citizen of the United States. Your citizenship must be finalized prior to entering the Academy. You must submit proof of citizenship if you were foreign born or naturalized. Authorized international students are exempt from this requirement.
  • At least 17, but less than 23 years of age by July 1 of the year you would enter. The age requirement is public law and cannot be waived.
  • Unmarried with no dependents.
  • Of good moral character.
  • Meet high leadership, academic, physical and medical standards.

New applications: Applications for the USAFA Class of 2016 (entering in June 2012) will be open from 1 March 2011 - 31 December 2011. Click here to go to the instructions page and apply On Line.

Status of already submitted application: If you have already submitted an application prior to the closing date, you may check the status by entering your log on information on the first page of the application, click here. Graduating between 2013 and 2018: Click here to register in our Pre-Junior program. This program is designed for students in 6th grade through your first semester of your junior year. We place your name in a database and send periodic mailings. The mailings are informational and designed to keep you informed about the Academy and to keep you up to date on what you need to be doing to be competitive for an appointment to the Air Force Academy.

International Student Appointment Information: If you are not a U.S. Citizen click here for international student appointment information.

Current Active Duty, Enlisted grades E1-E5: Click here for important information.

If you have further questions on qualifications for the United States Air Force Academy, please call the office of Selections at 719-333-2520 or 1-800-443-9266 or contact us by e-mail (RR_Apps@usafa.edu).

Given that your daughter is a US citizen, nothing should bar her from participating in ROTC. Though she will have to abandon her dual citizenship prior to applying for a security clearance. Is there any practical reason for her being a dual citizen?

Guest drew41885

I am currently an APAS at an ROTC detachment and can tell you for certain that your daughter will have to give up her dual-citizenship in order to be eligible to attend field training, and therefore commission through ROTC. This was a change that came down just a few months ago.

Pile on - I had to give up my second citizenship to finalize my security clearance years ago after I commissioned. Had to sign a statement and make it offical even.

But ...many countries, including germany, do not "recoginize" when a citizen "gives up" their citizenship...now the US does not allow you to serve in foreign militaries for the most part..but germany is pretty liberal about the whole thing.

A

Pile on - I had to give up my second citizenship to finalize my security clearance years ago after I commissioned. Had to sign a statement and make it offical even.

But ...many countries, including germany, do not "recoginize" when a citizen "gives up" their citizenship...now the US does not allow you to serve in foreign militaries for the most part..but germany is pretty liberal about the whole thing.

A S2 type told me in the past that he has had prospective SM's just sign a memorandum stating they hereby give up allegience and citizenship in said country. That seemed to work. Did you have to provide something more or something on a official form etc?