Sickle cell trait

Guest pilotsavage

Guest pilotsavage

I’m currently a 20 year old Sra in the reserves at Charleston I am a crew chief on the C-17. I have five months left for I receive my bachelors in professional aeronautics. I hold a private pilot’s license with around 90 hours. I am going for my commission to become a pilot in the air force, air force reserve, or air guard whichever accepts me flying anything I can obtain I’m not trying to be picky just trying to get my foot in the door and I am fine flying anything that flies. I have great health with no problems but I do have the trait of sickle cell it is a trait and not the disease and it does not and has not ever affected me. This is common amongst African Americans. Doing strenuous activities at high attitudes can be deadly for people who have this trait. For example NFL players with this trait cannot play in Denver. I cannot find if this will disqualify me from becoming an air force pilot. I am a pilot now and had no problems obtaining a first class medical certificate. Most of all aircraft are pressurized anyways and unless I’m flying fighters I will not be putting excessive stress on my body at high attitudes so I do not see how this trait would affect me, but I know how strict the military is about things like this. Any help with this or any tips on how to obtain my commission would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Check the Air Force Waiver Guide here: http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/afms/ctb_071808.pdf

This is from Dec 2011, so I think it is the most recent.

Specifically pages 793-797.

"... Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is disqualifying for all flying and special operational duties. Symptomatic Sickle Cell Trait (SCT) is disqualifying only for FC I/IA, FC II, and FC III duties. All initial flying class physicals require documented Sickledex™ results and if positive hemoglobin electrophoresis is required. Asymptomatic sickle cell trait (Hb AS) confirmed on hemoglobin electrophoresis does not require a waiver and Hb AS, with Hb S up to 45 % is acceptable for flying duties. Symptomatic sickle cell trait and sickle cell diseases (Hb SS and other heterozygous sickling disorders other than trait) are disqualifying. Anemia is not associated with sickle cell trait and therefore should not be attributed to the sickle cell trait..."