Lobbying Congressman?

Guest kingneptune117

Guest kingneptune117

Hello,

In the near future, I will have to take my DODMERB exam for AFROTC. I am almost positive I will get a DQ. I want to prepare for the worst (not getting a waiver.)

A detachment commander told me that he once had a student who was DQ'ed without a waiver for a head injury. He successfully lobbied his congressman and got a waiver.

Anyone here ever done this before? Is it possible for an individual like me to meet my congressman in person, or can I only do this over the phone/email? Also, what would be best to show my congressman. I'm assuming he doesn't have much experience with medical conditions so I do not see how he could possibly accurately decide if I deserve a waiver or not, aside from the motivation he can sense from an individual who wants to join the military.

Hello,

In the near future, I will have to take my DODMERB exam for AFROTC. I am almost positive I will get a DQ. I want to prepare for the worst (not getting a waiver.)

A detachment commander told me that he once had a student who was DQ'ed without a waiver for a head injury. He successfully lobbied his congressman and got a waiver.

Anyone here ever done this before? Is it possible for an individual like me to meet my congressman in person, or can I only do this over the phone/email? Also, what would be best to show my congressman. I'm assuming he doesn't have much experience with medical conditions so I do not see how he could possibly accurately decide if I deserve a waiver or not, aside from the motivation he can sense from an individual who wants to join the military.

Here's how I see it...

First of all, until some decision is made (i.e., you are DQ'd) there isn't anything to do. Second, you need to determine if there is some kind of "appeal" process within the AF medical community which you can exercise to have a DQ reviewed. If the process exists, and if you are DQ's, and if they choose not to use the appeal process, then a well documented letter to your Congressman's office (don't need a face to face) might get him (the Rep) to request that the AF look into the issue and have them reconsider the non-reconsideration (but still no guarantee the AF will either review it or qualify you). The key here will be to show the Representitive that there is a process, they didn't follow it, and you have other (probably civilian, at your expense) evidence that the AF's decision does not follow approved medical practice. That's a lot to expect, but that's probably what will have to happen.

Using the Congressional chip is always a chancy situation. They ( the AF med people) can always decide to stonewall you because you stirred up and muddied the waters. You'd better have pretty solid evidence that their medical decision is incorrect according to the AF's own standard!

Edited by HiFlyer

Here's how I see it...

First of all, until some decision is made (i.e., you are DQ'd) there isn't anything to do. Second, you need to determine if there is some kind of "appeal" process within the AF medical community which you can exercise to have a DQ reviewed. If the process exists, and if you are DQ's, and if they choose not to use the appeal process, then a well documented letter to your Congressman's office (don't need a face to face) might get him (the Rep) to request that the AF look into the issue and have them reconsider the non-reconsideration (but still no guarantee the AF will either review it or qualify you). The key here will be to show the Representitive that there is a process, they didn't follow it, and you have other (probably civilian, at your expense) evidence that the AF's decision does not follow approved medical practice. That's a lot to expect, but that's probably what will have to happen.

Using the Congressional chip is always a chancy situation. They ( the AF med people) can always decide to stonewall you because you stirred up and the muddied the waters. You'd better have pretty solid evidence that their medical decision is incorrect according to the AF's own standard!

Wise wise words...

Guest goducks

Hello,

Wise wise words...

Guest boaisyjon

Hello,

Hi! I worked for a congressman for quite a while and basically, congressional inquiries work like this: Constituents asks for an inquiry, Congressional Staff Contact Air Force, Air Force tells them the decision that was already made, congressional staff says "ok!" and everyone moves on. If you actually know a Congressperson, they might be willing to go to bat for you personally, but my experience is that it doesn't do much. The comment about being stonewalled is spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kingneptune117

Thanks for the information guys.

So then I guess that if I get disqualified with no waiver, my next step would be to try and obtain an exception to policy (ETP)? I am not sure if that even applies to the DODMERB.