Arifjan, Thumrait or Ali Al Salem?

Guest Polar Bear 73

Guest Polar Bear 73

I am an old National Guard Logistics Officer getting ready to take my first deployment since Desert Storm (and the last one before I retire). I have a choice of going to Arifjan, Thumrait, or Ali Al Salem.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can give me on the pros and cons of each of these locations. Particularly looking for things like:

The OPSTEMPO at each location (I'd like to keep busy)

What the facilities are like (quarters, workcenters, MWR, etc..)

Communication capabilities (internet, phone access, wi-fi, etc...)

Queep level

If you want to base it off of quarters, like MWR stuff and the like, and I"m totally serious here. Thumrait goes to option ZZ. There's nothing there, and it's in the middle of BFO (Bum Fuck Oman). I hate the Deid with a passion however, it's got the best of everything you're looking for. Ali would be my first choice, but then again, I don't have to drink in the desert, most people love the idea of still having beer and liquor, which is why they pick the Deid. I hear that Salem is getting to be as bad as it is out here at the Deid (aka Land of the Shoe Clerks) but have no conformation of that.

Guest Polar Bear 73

If you want to base it off of quarters, like MWR stuff and the like, and I"m totally serious here. Thumrait goes to option ZZ. There's nothing there, and it's in the middle of BFO (Bum ###### Oman). I hate the Deid with a passion however, it's got the best of everything you're looking for. Ali would be my first choice, but then again, I don't have to drink in the desert, most people love the idea of still having beer and liquor, which is why they pick the Deid. I hear that Salem is getting to be as bad as it is out here at the Deid (aka Land of the Shoe Clerks) but have no conformation of that.

I would like to be comfortable but that is not the most important factor for me. While I was in the Army, in my previous life, I did nine months during Desert Storm and six months in Honduras, living in GP medium tents, so that is not a big deal. Of course I was a young man back in those days.

More important to me is I want to feel like I am accomplishing something when I go to work everyday. That's number one. Having decent communications capability (Skype) is important to me also because my youngest son is just starting high school, so it would be nice to be able to stay in touch with him.

Edited by Polar Bear 73

I was at Ali Al Salem last year and traveled to Arifjan fairly regularly and I would recommend Arifjan. It has a lot more there and seemed to be less anal than a lot of other places. I would confirm what job you're gonig there to do...that might be a factor, but as far as base facilities and attitude, I would say Arifjan hands down.

I just left Salem yesterday, and I would have to say that it was the best place I've been deployed to. The wifi is pretty quick (except during peak times), and free. You get your own bathroom in your room, so no one to harass you about pt gear when you take a piss in the middle of the night. The queep level is extremely low. Everything on the Rock (AF side) is fairly close by, and the BX isn't all that bad. The chow hall isn't the greatest, but you can make your way down to the LSA for their chow hall/Desert Diamond/McDonald's/KFC/etc. You can take the cultural awareness class if you want to go off base to Kuwait City. All in all, it was a pretty good place if it's going to be your last deployment before you retire.

Guest Jollygreen

More important to me is I want to feel like I am accomplishing something when I go to work everyday. That's number one. Having decent communications capability ... is important to me also because my youngest son is just starting high school, so it would be nice to be able to stay in touch with him.

In 55 words you may have presented the most important keys to retention in the military.

Purpose and family.

I wish you the best during your deployment wherever it may be.

• Upvote 1

Salem isn't all that bad. We're noticing the queep level slowly get higher with the advent of Vibram shoes, and there seems to be an unofficial campaign to pressure us into shaving our combat staches. I've also noticed a lot more CMSgts lately than I did last rote, and there's at least one who will drop the fork and walk across the chow hall to "correct" someone, or chase you across the base to tell you that you can't eat ice cream.

All that said, you don't see a thread around here bitching a lot about Salem. The queep isn't bad. No reflective belts required(for you, or your backpack) on "The Rock," nobody hassles you about a horizontal shoulder holster, etc.

The free wireless is great, gym isn't bad, and they're playing almost first-run movies for $1.50 a head.

Guest Polar Bear 73

Thanks for the input guys.

I got the word today, I am going to Arifjan in Nov 2011 for 6 months. Any input from what to expect, what to do, what to take, etc... would be much appreciated.

The free wireless is great, gym isn't bad, and they're playing almost first-run movies for $1.50 a head.

Whoa whoa, when did they start charging for the movies? They've always been free for the last few years, even after the sound upgrade.

Salem's a pretty decent place to be. Pretty clean, not as big or queepy as the Deid, and the LSA's got some kick-ass food. Internet is superb!

• 3 months later...

I've got an ops deployment to Thumrait, shortly. Looking for info... chow hall(Food,hours), gym, qweep, ops tempo.... what are the tents like for crews...ect.

PM me if you feel you need to keep this more private

thanks,

jrobe