USAF IRB

Riebs

All,

I know this forum is mainly geared towards pilot talk, but perhaps someone out there may be able to assist.

I am a current ROTC masters student (heading to Columbus AFB hopefully before the next millennium), in the process of writing a thesis. I was curious if anyone who has done the same and has used/gone-through the USAF Institutional Review Board...or knows how to submit/get approval for human subject proposals, or knows their basic protocol. Last I heard they were located out at Brooks city-base...but that may have changed, according to the site and the PR lady located there. Any information would be of great help. Thanks.

Riebs

All,

I know this forum is mainly geared towards pilot talk, but perhaps someone out there may be able to assist.

I am a current ROTC masters student (heading to Columbus AFB hopefully before the next millennium), in the process of writing a thesis. I was curious if anyone who has done the same and has used/gone-through the USAF Institutional Review Board...or knows how to submit/get approval for human subject proposals, or knows their basic protocol. Last I heard they were located out at Brooks city-base...but that may have changed, according to the site and the PR lady located there. Any information would be of great help. Thanks.

Riebs

First off, epic fail on the avatar. That is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in awhile. Replace it with a hot chick/tits/ultrahot threesome making out, and you might get someone in this forum with the right knowledge to help you out.

Guest goducks

All,

Riebs

Your university should have an IRB- that's where I would start. I'm not even sure if the AF needs to be involved in the process if you are working through a university, although there are certainly IRBs at most of the bases that perform any type of research. Brooks no longer has an independent IRB as they fall under the Wright-Patt IRB.

As far as the specific protocol, it depends on where you submit your request. I've submitted projects to both the Lackland IRB and the Wright-Patt IRB and they were quite different.

Just a word of warning- studies that require human subject participation can take a while to make it through the IRB chain (sometimes many months). You must address issues such as subject safety, medical monitoring, HIPPA compliance, etc. If you did have to go through a local USAF IRB, the request would likely be elevated to the SG IRB as well, which can add additional time to the process. It is also likely that you will have to complete CITI training, CITI, (it is required by the DoD as well as many universities), which also takes a little time.

Here's a link to the types of information and forms that Wright-Patt currently requires. This should give you some idea of what is required:

Forms and Templates

Human subject testing is a PITA. Depending on what you are doing, you may be eligible for an exemption- see the website for the rules on this.

GD

Thank you. This has helped a lot.

I have gone through my schools IRB, but still they are (my committee) requesting I get USAF IRB approval before I conduct the study. All it really is, is a human subject survey (anonymous of course). I have requested a "expedited" review and approval. Not sure how expedited that will really be. Also, the squadron commander recommended I do not go through the IRB because of the lengthy process. Just trying to stay out of dirty water before I am even commissioned.

Thank you again for your help.

BTW - avatar is being changed...soon....probably. Sorry guys.

Riebs

Guest goducks

Thank you. This has helped a lot.

I have gone through my schools IRB, but still they are (my committee) requesting I get USAF IRB approval before I conduct the study. All it really is, is a human subject survey (anonymous of course). I have requested a "expedited" review and approval. Not sure how expedited that will really be. Also, the squadron commander recommended I do not go through the IRB because of the lengthy process. Just trying to stay out of dirty water before I am even commissioned.

Thank you again for your help.

BTW - avatar is being changed...soon....probably. Sorry guys.

Riebs

Riebs,

Depending on what personal identification your are requesting, you may be eligible for an exemption. As far as I'm aware, an anonymous survey falls under the exempt category. This is the verbage and reference to the applicable rules regarding exemption requests for surveys:

This request is based on the Code of Federal Regulations, title 32, part 219, section 101, paragraph (b) (2) Research activities that involve the use of educational tests (cognitive, diagnostic, aptitude, achievement), survey procedures, interview procedures, or observation of public behavior unless: (i) Information obtained is recorded in such a manner that human subjects can be identified, directly or through identifiers linked to the subjects; and (ii) Any disclosure of the human subjects’ responses outside the research could reasonably place the subjects at risk of criminal or civil liability or be damaging to the subjects’ financial standing, employability, or reputation.

Also, be aware that if you are surveying USAF folks, you are supposed to get the survey approved through the USAF survey office at Randolph. I've done it twice and it was quite trivial. Just a CYA in case someone files a complaint.

GD