Buckley AFB

Guest jackstone

Guest jackstone

Hello,

Just got my orders and I'll be stationed here. I would appreciate any and all information you might have regarding Lieutenant life in Aurora, CO.

Recommendations of living areas, things to do (I know skiing of course), any other comments welcome...

Im a ROTC cadet here in Denver and let me tell you...you are coming to one of the most beautiful places in the country. Great weather, beautiful scenery, and a lot to do. Aurora is a nice area. There is a lot of newer housing and apartments around the Buckley area and you will be about a 15 min drive from downtown Denver and about a 15 minute drive from DIA. Let me know if you have any specific ?'s.

Guest jackstone

A few questions...

I will only be 22 years old, fresh outta college. That being said, do you have any recommendations of places to live? There is no on base housing and I'd gladly live in an awesome area of the city with a roommate to cut costs; BAH is pretty damn good anyway.

Next, my AFSC is actually 65wx, Cost Analysis. I know that you are not necessarily familiar with it but I was wondering if you had ANY clue what they do at this base? Are they purchasing satellite and space systems? Items for F-16s? Also I know it is a joint kind of base w/ Navy and Marines... how big is their presence?

Jackstone,

North and East Aurora are the nicest and newest areas. There is a lot of new construction off of Buckley Ave, right by the base. Apartment costs are kinda high because the cost of living here is a bit higher (you can get a 1 or 2 bedroom, brand new complex, for around 600-900/mo). The base is right off of I-70 pretty much, so you can live pretty much anywhere in east Denver and be a short drive to the base. As far as your AFSC, im not sure. They have been changing things up since the base closings and have inherited a couple of squadrons from other bases. Can't help you there.

Hey there.

Welcome to Buckley! I am stationed there with the ANG. The Guard side of the house is the 140th Wing, an F-16 unit. I am in the 120th Fighter Squadron. I don't know much about the AD side, but am assuming that you're AD? Yes, we do have Army, Marines and Navy on base. There is a significant presence of all these branches on the installation (mostly Guard/Reserve I believe) however, the majority of the base is related to the 460th Space Wing.

As far as places to live, I know that East of the base there is a really nice area of Aurora (most of Aurora is not so nice). You take I-70 east to the toll road (E-470), go south towards Co. Springs and at the Smoky Hill exit you'll find an area that is really nice, everything is new from housing to stores/shops etc. It's about 15 mins from the base.

Anyhow, hope this helps! You're going to love Colorado!

Michaela

Guest jackstone

AF2ANG,

Would mind asking around a little bit what a cost analyst in active duty might do for the base? I am hoping its going to be working in acquisitions for space systems, but I literally have no clue.

Thanks much.

Guest jackstone

Sneedro,

Thanks, I've actually read all the sources and actually talked to some people in the field. I was wondering what analysts do SPECIFICALLY at Buckley, since it does not seem to be a particularly high profile base, though I've heard its up and coming...

Guest mpilot153

I grew up in Parker, went to school in Boulder, then off into the USMC. The singles scene is good in Denver, the drinking scene is good, the outdoor scene is good...in other words, if you can't find something to do, it's all on you.

The housing market has gone off the roof since i've been there. Every time I go home, its ridiculous the amount of new construction going on.

[ 13. November 2005, 23:45: Message edited by: mpilot153 ]

Guest jackstone

I actually have a question about the area. Since it is generally a more bohemian mixture of people and pretty progressive, are military people given any shit?

Guest mpilot153

Well dude - I think you will be a lot better off. Denver isn't known as a military town, at least nothing like the traditional 2/3 of every car in town have the sticker on the windshield.

I guess I'm thinking more from the perspective of hitting on women - where at least, you can come in with something new and fresh, rather than being the two hundred and thirty second pilot too make a move on her that year.

Colorado is a predominantly Republican State, Boulder (also called the Republic of Boulder) is more the type of dudes that voted for Nader…Downtown Denver has a lot of liberals, but that is true of any major city.

You should be fine in the suburb/aurora area – if anybody gives you shit, then plenty more conservatives around that have your back. I’m jealous of your duty station – just not your service selection.

Semper Fi!

Jackstone,

I lived in colorado for 14 years and then just recently was assigned to Randolph AFB. Flyguy and I are good friends have spent a lot of time at Buckley. Send him a private message and I'm sure he would even be willing to drive down there and show you around. Great place! As far as getting crap from people about being in the military, stay away from Boulder and I think you'll be good. Boulder is probably the most liberal campus I've ever seen. I've never heard or seen anything against military in Denver except when the dudes from Buckley returned from Iraq and came screaming in over the big city. A few people complained about it scaring them but that's about it. Enjoy your stay and let me know if there's anything you need info about.

Oh, and stay away from Colfax.

Shawty

Guest flecth033

Definately PM me if you want to grab a beer. Michaela and I will come down and show you around. As far as living, there is a pretty cool place close to the base called Lowry. It's an old Air Force base that has been redeveloped and has homes from the Millions down to Apartments. It's a pretty cool place for Aurora. Michaela pointed out a nice area to. House prices are pretty high. Buckley isn't much of a base beyond the BX and Commissary, but Denver is a great place to live. No matter where you are, you won't be to far from downtown. Like Mpilot said, you should always be able to find something to do, especially if you can handle the snow which never gets to bad.