SECAF comments in C4ISR

Cooter

Critics say you're cuttng the wrong systems-ISR systems-to buy more fighters.

"First, I can only cut personnel 8 more times like we did, before we have no AF. Second, the F-22 is the best sensor on the battlefield, bar none, including the E10, which can't get close enough to the battlefield to make a difference."

When asked if the F-22 is the answer:

"We are looking at how you do long range recce and strike. We are following Moore's Law to pack more density onto our assets. With Global Hawk and Predator, we have deep penetration and are getting SA in a remarkable way."

Nothing like contradicting yourself in statements right after one another. Looks like the Chief of Staff has his man in the SECAF. I know this is "old news" but it keeps cropping up and I'm concerned with how far they are goingto take it all.

Cooter

Guest cbire880

So we'll have one really fancy expensive sensor platform eventually? Then a $10,000 manpad will hose it on takeoff....

Fancy toys are great and all, but won't numbers eventually overwhelm you? Its like playing a video game, I might have the greatest gun in the game, but if the computer keeps hurling low value bad guys at me, sooner or later I'm gonna run out of life.

Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

E10?

IIRC, Northrup was developing the E-10 which is a replacement for the AWACS, JSTARS and EC-135s. However, funding has been on again, off again.

Maybe if we cut another 25,000 personnel we can afford it. Then we just need to figure out how to pay for a new tanker.

But according to the AF times, congress gave the AF a check to buy "more F-22's than originally planned" so that the next war against communism we have over 300 of these awesome fighters to throw at them. After all, we've been losing WAY TOO MANY F-16's and A-10's

the F-22 is the best sensor on the battlefield, bar none
Maybe he meant the best sensor at 35,000 feet for 1.5 hours until it goes bingo fuel.

Sorry, there are plenty of more capable sensors being used right now (this very second) that are contributing more than any F22 sensor will ever do - I promise you that.

Funny how the big bosses know so little about what is actually happening RIGHT NOW - but seem to love to talk about what will happen 20 years from now...