WWII vet receives long-awaited medals

MKopack

WWII vet receives long-awaited medals

by 2nd Lt. Matt Schroff

4th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

9/4/2009 - SEYMOUR JOHNSON AIR FORCE BASE, N.C. -- Although he was not dressed in the khaki Army Air Corp uniform he wore after enlisting at 17, World War II veteran Tech. Sgt. Howard "Holt" Thornton was no less proud when he received medals during a special ceremony Aug. 29.

A small gathering of family, friends and military members assembled to honor Mr. Thornton and witness the presentation of long overdue decorations.

A former aerial gunner, Mr. Thornton returned to Seymour Johnson, his final duty station, for a presentation of medals he earned in combat during World War II, but was never formally presented. Assigned to the 763rd Bomb Squadron, 460th Bomb Group at Spinazzola, Italy, Mr. Thornton flew 52 missions in the European theatre, including the famed Ploesti raids on Romanian oil production facilities. As a crewmember of the B-24 Liberator "Hangar Queen," Mr. Thornton's missions sent him to targets in Italy, France, Romania and other areas of southern Europe. His service was not without hardship; he was wounded twice, and on three occasions, he had to bail out of his stricken aircraft into enemy territory.

Now 85, Mr. Thornton recalls his time spent in the service.

"We took three flights to Ploesti; they called them combat missions," he said. "We dubbed them suicide missions. One time into combat is enough for anybody."

Mr. Thornton says he feels very grateful to be where he is today.

"I'm very thankful; I carried a prayer book with me on all the missions I flew, in my flying book. I'm the same way now," he said.

The delay of recognition was caused by a 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, which resulted in the damage or destruction of nearly 18 million military records from the years 1912 to 1964.

Although slightly charred around the edges, Mr. Thornton's personnel file survived the fire.

After hearing his war stories through the years, his family began the process to recover his records, intending to display his decorations at home.

Upon learning he had left the service before a proper presentation of awards could be made, Mr. Thornton's granddaughter, Carrie Bass, contacted the base for help.

The Air Force Personnel Center at Randolph provided medals, and the Seymour Johnson Airman's Attic supplied an updated uniform for the ceremony since, according to Mr. Thornton, his old uniform was a bit snug.

Col. Mark Kelly, 4th Fighter Wing commander, pinned Mr. Thornton's medals to his chest, nearly 65 years since he last saw combat. Decorations awarded were his fourth Air Medal, second Purple Heart, third and fourth European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medals, the American Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal.

Colonel Kelly remarked on how Airmen owe men like Mr. Thornton for the Air Force that exists today.

"We in this profession, we say not often enough that we stand on the shoulders of giants," Col. Kelly said. "It's a rare day that we get to stand amongst one and spend some time. The Airmen of today do what they do to be worthy in your eyes."

Photo at: http://www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/080929-F-2803W-003.jpg

"Mr. Thornton flew 52 missions in the European theatre, including the famed Ploesti raids on Romanian oil production facilities. As a crewmember of the B-24 Liberator "Hangar Queen," Mr. Thornton's missions sent him to targets in Italy, France, Romania and other areas of southern Europe. His service was not without hardship; he was wounded twice, and on three occasions, he had to bail out of his stricken aircraft into enemy territory."

Well done sir, thank you for your service. To a true bad ass who set the standard.

:beer:

:flag_waving:

:salut:

Edited to add salute guy.

Edited by Stitch