The right stuff

Guest F16crewdwgg

Guest F16crewdwgg

I was watching the movie "The right stuff" in the breakroom. Never realized it was from 1983.

trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/traile...lay-vi770900249

I want to rent and watch the whole thing. Idk. seemed like a really good movie from the parts I seen.. figured there were others who live under a rock like me and never seen it.

Anyway.. How many people on this board, whether pilot, civilian, or just an officer of some sort, are interested in one day trying for NASA(astronaut)... Or pilots... How many are looking to apply for a test pilot slot? What is it that you guys do to stay competitive?

Just wondering...

I read the book and then watched the movie. I'd read the book 10 more times before I wasted time with the movie. It was a good movie but it didn't do any justice to the details of the story that not many know about. Do yourself a favor and spend a few days reading the book. It won't take long. The first couple pages are slow but when it picks up you won't put it down. Even knowing the story won't ruin the book.

Like Lt. said, the movie was well made and I definitely enjoyed it. What seems to be the case though, as with most movies, is that a lot of important details were left out because the director(s) thought that they weren't necessary to sell the movie to the general public.

The book was also great. Another good book along those lines is the autobiography of chuck yeager. If you hack through all the ego, not that he didn't earn it, it's an incredible story.

Edited by PaddyPilot

To answer your question: not really interested in riding on a space ship into space as an "astronaut". God bless those who do it, though. I'm just not interested.

Now, if the new Space Shuttle is a taildragger,....well, I'll have to think abou that.

To answer your question: not really interested in riding on a space ship into space as an "astronaut". God bless those who do it, though. I'm just not interested.

Now, if the new Space Shuttle is a taildragger,....well, I'll have to think abou that.

You get pretty close to space anyway, no?