T-6 Phase In

Guest C17pilot2B

Guest pstephens

Does anyone know or has heard when all UPT bases will be flying T-6s? I have heard sometime between FY06 and FY08. If anyone has heard anything more specific or could elaborate that would be great.

Guest Apollo

Well, Sheppard will have T-37s after all the normal UPT bases have transferred over. It's because of the NATO countries having to come along with it. That's also why they haven't gone to the T38C yet. Moody and Laughlin are both 100% T6 from what I hear. Columbus and Vance are starting to convert now too.

(from what I have read)

I've got a friend at Sheppard right now saying that they won't start their phase in until 07. Apollo is right with the other bases. (although last time I was there, laughlin had a couple 37's sadly waiting to go to the boneyard) If I had to guess, I'd give it 2 years, maybe a little longer for Sheppard.

Guest AirGuardian

I was at DM a couple of weeks ago and watched a pair of tweets arrive & taxi off into the distance to the Boneyard area. Quite a sad occasion. Almost ran after the IP's to see if they'd take a C note so we could load one or both into the back of our 17, and take those puppies away from the O'l impound...

[ 14. March 2005, 02:16: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

LOL!!! Whiting getting T-6s HA!!! Like the navy would know when it's going to happen before it happens!! That's a good one!!

oh, you were serious...sorry...guess i'm just glad to be done with navy training.

From what I hear, a few T-6s have already shown up...but the Navy doesn't know what to do with them. (that's entirely through the rumermill though, so tell all your friends that's what's actually happening)

As for the tweet, AirGuardian, I share your sentiments. Sad to see the legend go.

[ 14. March 2005, 08:50: Message edited by: FourFans130 ]

Guest pstephens

So Columbus and Vance are starting to convert? Any idea how long that process will take or an estimated date of phase in? I am just trying figure out what plane I should expect to start in when I go to UPT next year. Sounds like the T-6 will be the plane to expect.

Guest jk227

If I remember correctly, Vance had already started the conversion and the first class to take the 6 will be in April or May. Columbus won't begin seeing the new birds until April or so of 2006.

Anyone know if there is a possibility of buying a Tweet from the AF? You would think that they would probably sell for relatively cheap. If you had a rich friend and a crusty former Tweet maintenance guy to keep it flying, it could be a very fun plane to own (and a very expensive one to fly and maintain).