Herk Community on AD

Nanook

Am looking for some unfiltered info on life at on AD from the four-fans-of-freedom guys. This is coming from someone that might be "returning to the fold" so to speak. I've been an ARC member for a lot longer than I was ever on AD and have only recently seen AD up close in the AOR. Specifically, are they giving assigments to Elmendorf? How's life at Ramstein with the E models having problems? How is living at the Rock for family types? Am afraid to ask about Dyess and Pope, having spent some time at both places and knowing just enough to be dangerous. Just a snap of what life would be like as a regular old Herk guy, albeit a bit more senior than most FNGs to the squadron.

I don't really have an unbiased opinion since I've never seen the guard/reserve side of things.

Basically all of the active guys are building sand castles four months on and off until further notice. The E-model situation isn't just at Ramstein. Essentially every unit beside the 50th is affected.

Assignments are still going to Elmendorf since they weren't BRAC'ed. Talk to Linda for info on Ramstein. I only lived at the Rock during the school house, but I thought it sucked.

Dyess and Pope were both BRAC'ed so we'll see what will happen. If it goes through, we'll all be spending time at Little Rock.

AD big picture, you will be gone a ton and dealing with the damn restrictions when you're home.

HD

[ 17. August 2005, 19:07: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

Guest AF2ANG

Anyone else hear that they may be openng an active unit in Cheyenne? Probably just a rumor...came from a -130 pilot friend of mine at Dyess.

Michaela

[ 17. August 2005, 20:09: Message edited by: AF2ANG ]

It's not a rumor. An active/associate unit will open up at Cheyenne (and Col Springs) if the BRAC recommendations stand. Pope is not closing, just becoming an active/associate unit in place run by the army (Pope AAF?). All 3 active/associate units basically allow the active duty AF to use the newer guard/reserve airplanes. Elmendorf wasn't BRAC'd, but it is transitioning to C-17's, so I'm not sure there will be any assignments there in the future. Dyess for Cheyenne/C Springs, not a bad trade.

Thanks for the reminder, I can't believe I forgot about the BRAC. Don't have to worry much about Pope or Dyess I guess. As to the post about Cheyenne, yes, that unit and C-Springs will be AD associate wings where the ARC maintains the aircraft and the AD supplements with aircrew. I was at Ramstein a few months ago and there was an interesting morale patch there...it did seem a bit tight there. Any idea on how long the E'Dorf guys will still fly Herks? I haven't been able to confirm this, but we've been hearing some buzz about some AD units going to H2s. We were prepared to train some crews a few months back. Hasn't been any buzz lately.

I am at Little Rock, it is not a bad place to live when you look at some of the other bases out there. I have two kids, 9 and 1 1/2, the school situation is better to the north of here (Cabbot). There is quite a bit to do around here if you don't mind the heat/humidity. Also there is the 4 on 4 off playing in the sand. Housing is afforadable now but if the BRAC passes I am sure they will go up.

I know that the other unit here is trading in their Es on guard H3s, the first one just showed up. Don't know anything about the H2 situstion.

When we got our drops here at Corpus a month ago, they actually told us that Elmendorf was not an option. Just like failure. A C-12, maybe once in a blue moon, but no more Herks from UPT. I don't know about going there from another assignment.

[ 17. August 2005, 22:11: Message edited by: Rocker ]

Guest lovelacm

Ramstein:

Great place to live. Nice folks to work with. Hurtin' planes. Rotes moved from 60s to 120s. MX seems to run the flying schedule here. Good food and beer and wine. Still have to deal with CSIP (tune into AFN if you don't follow me) on a regular basis.

That's her in a nut-shell (insert Austin Powers here).

Cheers!

Linda

Elmendorf is slated to absorb Kulis's (Anchorage ANG) Herks via the BRAC. When I left EDF about a year ago they were in the process of narrowing the pipeline and were planning to completly turn it off soon, then the BRAC situation throws a wrench in it because now they want to move those Herks over AND still have C-17s. The ramp space up there was always weird, now I don't know what the plan is. If they do move Kulis and have that AD/Guard assosciate unit thing I would jump on a chance to back....hell I'd fly C-12s to get back to EDF.

There was suppose to be a major airlift review via the DOD out last spring but its been delayed to this fall. My guess is its going to tighten its belt around funding for E and H1 model Herks and just let them fall apart. Try to keep what H2/3s up and running and start purchasing Js (although you won't see a 1 for 1 trade off between E/H1 and J model); and then of course ramping up the C-17 production line. I'll have to wait a few more months. They're probably waiting for the BRAC thing to finish up before they put their finishing touches on it.

I had a face to face with the slick 130 assignments guy at AFPC last week. If the DoD's recommendations are approved, it sounds like the plan for the associate units will be to have those units composed of roughly 2/3 ARC aircrew and 1/3 AD aircrew for a total crew ratio of 3.0. Also, the commission is looking at adding to the list of those becoming Associate units, possibly in the northeast somewhere.

Edit: I forgot to ask about assignments to Elmendorf while I was over there, if I get a chance I'll stop in and get an answer straight from the horse's mouth...

[ 18. August 2005, 08:22: Message edited by: TacAirCoug ]

The assignments are cut off to Elmendorf.

As for lifestyle I think the best right now is Yokota. They do not go to the desert as much, although I think they only have one plane flying. However, with Elmo drawing down Yokota will be picking up more of the slack.

No place is safe anymore. All my buddies in the lower 48 are doing 4 months on 4 months off. I believe Ram. is doing the same.

The only hope I have for a return to something other then OIF/OEF is for PACAF to ask for their planes back. Which I doubt is going to happen.

After talking to C17 guys this lifestyle seems so much better.

Originally posted by FreudianSlip:

My guess is its going to tighten its belt around funding for E and H1 model Herks

Rant Switch - ON

I'm firmly convinced it's going to take at least one class A for the AF and the politicians to get the hint. Not only are they dragging ass on the replacements, they're also too damn cheap to have the wing boxes inspected. We'll just place restrictions on all of the 38 and up birds.

I'm telling you, I'm just waiting for that first wingless bird to go down and I hope I'm not on it.

Rant Switch - OFF

Thanks for the inputs...I pretty much guessed as much. Interesting to hear talk of another associate setup. We did 60 on 60 off for two years so I'm not looking forward to hitting the 4s cycle. I'm not a Herk guy originally (although my first 11 choices outta nav school were Herks), but it seems like a monumental mistake to hang your hat on the J. Not that it isn't a good airplane, but the lack of Herk production has left a giant void. Hopefully no crew will pay the price. In a former life the GAO came out with a report that said we would be crashing 4 aircraft a year due to wing stresses at low level...fortunately that never came to pass. Let's hope the wings stay on this time too.