Boonie Hats

Guest markkyle66

Guest markkyle66

I read a book about F100 FAC pilots in a book called Bury us upside-down and noticed in alot of pictures they had the "aussie" style boonie hats with one side folded up. I guess it was in-country tradition tradition. Do they still use these? IF not I was wondering if there are any other in-country traditions. Thanks guys

You're probably talking about the air commando bush hat. I think they originated in Vietnam when airmen started borrowing them from South Vietnamese troops. Eventually they became official uniform items for commando units. I don't know if that was ever changed. It could still be buried in some regulation somewhere that they are approved but I haven't seen anybody wearing them lately.

Grow a mustache, thats the other tradition. At least among fighter pilots.

Not JUST among the pointy-nosed-types, my man.

That hairy thing on your lip while deployed is also known as a "caterpillar," "Molest-ache," "War-stache," and "Trim Brush."

We heavy, not-so-heavy, and fling-wing drivers out here also have the same tradition of allowing our facial hair to increase during time away from home.

Shoot... sometimes it's fun to grow one while at "Base X" (ORI - Tent City: across the runway from the squadron building, when we're away from home almost as much as deployment... but not getting paid for it!).

Cheers! :jd:

Linda

P.S. - Just found the Jack Daniels bit... Well Done, brother BaseOps!