Tyndall info

Guest afthunderchief

Guest afthunderchief

Ok, so me and a few other cadets are going to Tyndall over spring break for some F-15 rides but we don't have anywhere to stay yet. Does anyone have any past experience going there and remember where they stayed? Everywhere we are looking so far is ridiculously priced, so let me know if anyone has any ideas

The reason everything is so expensive is because Panama City is a spring break destination. You won't find anything for less that about $100/night during spring break. I'd say that if you can stay in the on-base hotel do that, otherwise look in Niceville, FL which isn't too far from Tyndall, and may be cheaper. Good luck though, they love bilking tourists around there, it's not called the Redneck Riviera for nothing!

Guest Thriller
Originally posted by FSUBadger:

[QBI'd say that if you can stay in the on-base hotel do that, otherwise look in Niceville, FL which isn't too far from Tyndall, and may be cheaper.[/QB]

Like stated above, try the VQs on base. Give them a call and see if you can get a few rooms for the duration of your stay. If you all are contracted or have a Mil ID, you're golden. VQs normally run somewhere between 25-30 bucks per night. Granted, people on TDY orders will have priority, I'd go for that.

Get on the horn and find out when the earliest time is that you can reserve (if they allow you to reserve).

Peace,

THRILLER

Guest afthunderchief

Ya, we might look in to staying on base, but as cadets, we cannot reserve a room over 24 hours from when we will be arriving jsut so they can make sure that they have availability for active duty TDYs.

Originally posted by afthunderchief:

Ya, we might look in to staying on base, but as cadets, we cannot reserve a room over 24 hours from when we will be arriving jsut so they can make sure that they have availability for active duty TDYs.

Incorrect, just reserved a room at the Sand Dollar Inn on base. Reserved on Tuesday for a Friday. I'd call about 3 days in advance, they'll probably work with you.

• 2 years later...

Tried this in another thread, and ran a search, couldn't find anything...Can anybody confirm Tyndall's F-15 school house is shutting sometime next year after the October 2008 B course class graduates? Heard that any future F-15 guys (less and less as time goes on) will be going strictly to Klamath falls from now on. Anyone?

Sessy

Tried this in another thread, and ran a search, couldn't find anything...Can anybody confirm Tyndall's F-15 school house is shutting sometime next year after the October 2008 B course class graduates? Heard that any future F-15 guys (less and less as time goes on) will be going strictly to Klamath falls from now on. Anyone?

False. As of now.

• 9 months later...
Where is the best spot to live at Tyndall right now for B course students, i.e. a married Lt for instance? On base/Mexico Beach/Lynn Haven????

It all depends on where you want to live. A lot of the class we just graduated stayed in Mexico Beach. There are ups and downs for both, depends on what you are looking for. I live in Callaway - i hate long drives to work.

It all depends on where you want to live. A lot of the class we just graduated stayed in Mexico Beach. There are ups and downs for both, depends on what you are looking for. I live in Callaway - i hate long drives to work.

Yeah, I'd love to live on/near the beach, but like you, hate long drives to work. Are there any nice beach areas within 10 minutes for a Lt's BAH?

• 1 month later...

So I've been lookin at base housing for the lady and I since they have brand new 3 bedroom houses, it seems to be fairly far from the ops side of the house, looking at google earth anyway. How far of a drive is it with base speed limits and all? Also, does it take just as long to get through the gate from the housing side onto the ops side as it would rollin in from Mexico Beach or west of the base?

Edited by isuguy1234

Well, Mexico beach is about 15...

Depends on what you consider "nice".

MexBeach is nice and quiet and very beachy. But do realize that they roll up the sidewalks in the off season and there isn't anything there to keep the wife happy other than the beach and a few bars. Very few shops, one grocery store (the size of an average 7/11), a few gas stations and that's about it. There isn't much further east of Tyndall past MexBeach either. So you will spend a lot of time driving into Panama City and driving even further into PCB.

But don't get me wrong, if you like quiet beach living with generally nice folks and small, family run restaurants then MexBeach is the shit. They also have a free municipal pier that gets plenty of fish and a nice canal system if you have a boat. There are plenty of condo type deals that were built as the housing market was crashing and are available (rent or buy) dirt cheap (for beachfront property with a slip)

PM if you want more details.

MexBeach is nice and quiet and very beachy. But do realize that they roll up the sidewalks in the off season and there isn't anything there to keep the wife happy other than the beach and a few bars. Very few shops, one grocery store (the size of an average 7/11), a few gas stations and that's about it. There isn't much further east of Tyndall past MexBeach either. So you will spend a lot of time driving into Panama City and driving even further into PCB.

But don't get me wrong, if you like quiet beach living with generally nice folks and small, family run restaurants then MexBeach is the shit. They also have a free municipal pier that gets plenty of fish and a nice canal system if you have a boat. There are plenty of condo type deals that were built as the housing market was crashing and are available (rent or buy) dirt cheap (for beachfront property with a slip)

PM if you want more details.

I also lived in Mexico Beach for about a year while going through the ABM schoolhouse. It was nice to say that I lived literally across the street from the beach and owned a boat that I kept in the canal slip behind my condo, but I don't know if I'd live there again. The commute was very easy -- just set your cruise and head up to base, it should take you about 15 minutes to the front gate then add in a few more minutes to get to your squadron. It's a very nice commute compared to those who live north of the base and have to deal with the traffic abomination that is Highway 98, the main road into Tyndall from the north and home to quite possibly the most uncoordinated traffic light system east of the Mississippi. HossHarris is totally spot on in that there are really no amenities down there; be prepared to do all your shopping at the commissary or BX before you head back to your house because the little grocery/general store won't be open past 8:00 PM or so and the only option left is the gas station with a Subway that's open until 9:00 or 10:00. Toucan's is the local beach bar that most people frequent, but when I was there they pretty much have only one cover band that plays on the weekends (it seems like the same set list every time they play) so it pretty much turns into Mexico Beach Groundhog Day if you stay in town on the weekends. All in all, be prepared to do a lot of driving if you live down there. Your midnight ketchup run will take you about an hour -- 15 minutes to Tyndall, another 10 minutes or so north of Tyndall on Highway 98 to the nearest Walmart, then reverse the trip back home. Eventually, all the driving just got old, since all my classmates either lived in or wanted to hang out in Panama City Beach, which will take you about 45 minutes or so one-way, so on the weekends you're looking at a few hours drive if you want to hit up Destin and the like.

So I've been lookin at base housing for the lady and I since they have brand new 3 bedroom houses, it seems to be fairly far from the ops side of the house, looking at google earth anyway. How far of a drive is it with base speed limits and all? Also, does it take just as long to get through the gate from the housing side onto the ops side as it would rollin in from Mexico Beach or west of the base?

Base speed limits are 45 or 30 depending on what part of the base, from base housing to what is on the "tourist map" of the base, it's 45. Other than that it's 30, and once you get to that point, it's not very far to the gate to cross to the ops side.

• 3 months later...