Prior service for ANG

Guest Eric1516

I was non prior "off the street" when I applied to my reserve unit. I had a crappy GPA, 85.1 hrs & a PPL, and a 99 PCSM. The board was concerned about my GPA and my ability to cut it in UPT. I must have done well in the interview. A Col on the board said to me, "We've never seen grades this bad with test scores this high. What happened?" I was honest. I told them (the board) that I had a lot of fun in college. I told them I was immature in college, chasing women and drinking beer and now I'm an adult. It must have worked, this was in 1998 and now I'm an instructor pilot in the unit. I've sat in on probably a dozen interviews with variors pilot applicants. We've said no to guys with who look awesome on paper-2000hrs Com MEI, this guys a stud - then he sucked in the interview and came off as an ass. We've said yes to kids with 40 hrs, look crappy on paper, and a good interview. You've got to be your own best salesman. In the guard and reserves, most board members are thinking "Could I fly with this guy or live in a tent with this guy?" Good luck.

Dude, don't listen to any of the negative posts. I got my slot with a fighter unit without a PPL and no prior military experience. You definitely are your own salesman in this game.

I do think that becoming a doctor and going through training might not sound to reasonable though, expecially prior to residency. You have to put a lot of time in the Guard to fly after training and from what I have heard, a residency is pretty freakin time consuming.

[ 08. September 2006, 19:23: Message edited by: spit21fire ]

• 2 weeks later...

There is a program to become a flight surgeon after you secure a pilot gig with the ANG/Air Force. I don't know anything about it but just met a pilot who was demoted temporarily from Major to 2nd LT while he was in med school and then would get his leaf back when he returned. He would go on to be a MD and a regular pilot at his A-10 FS. Like I said, this was the first I heard about the program...sounds like something you'd want to look into if it's not too late...