MEPS information

Guest birddog

Guest birddog

I am currently in the ANG (4+ years) and am in the process of submitting a package to the USAF for pilot selection. My recruiter is telling me that I will have to take the MEPS physical again. I don't understand why because I am already in the military. Any ideas?

Guest flyermb

I'm in the AF reserves and I was going to apply for active duty OTS. They told me the same thing even though I was already in the Air Force and had a FC1 already done. I dont understand why.

Birddog,

I'm in the guard as well (10 years). I applied and was accepted to OTS so maybe I can shed some light on the subject for you. You will have to take the MEPS physical again (it sucks I know). After that you will then have to take the FC1. When you apply you will be applying as a civilian (although you can include all you military history, letters of rec from commanders and all that). Your MEPS visit probably won't be as long as the last time. Mine was done by about 1300. They stuck a nice little sticker on me and I was able to step to the front of whatever line I was in. If you have any question feel free to ask away. Its a very long road and if I can make it a little easier for you I will. One bit of info on your FC1. Do it now and do it at your unit. You can control the process a little better that way.

When applying to OTS the only people that do not need a MEPS physical as part of their package are current Air Force Active Duty. EVERYONE else needs one, including active duty in other forces I believe.

• 9 months later...
Guest cloudbreak

I met with the recruiter on Feb. 28 to schedule my AFOQT and MEPS physical. I took the AFOQT two days later. I have a screw in my ankle and expecting it to require a waiver for a pilot slot. It is now Mar. 15 and the recruiter is still saying that MEPs hasn't gotten back to her. Should there be this long of a delay to schedule my physical even with my ankle situation ??

Guest comanche

It took two months to get my medical done. Just because you have an ankle propblem doesn't mean they will get you in any faster, they have to wait for an opening.

Comanche

Guest cloudbreak

Yeah, I understand that, but I spoke with a CG recruiter and he said my AF recruiter should have heard something back within 72 hours of submitting the paperwork. I just have some doubts about my AF recruiter. She is new and maybe not taking a proactive approach. But if you say it can take this long and longer, then I won't be as concerned about it

thanks, Cory

Guest comanche

They told me they were trying to work it so I could do it at my local base. That being said they didn't give me a date for a while. It's a waiting game, you'll get used to it. You were lucky you could take your AFOQT, at my local base, the offer it once a month.

• 1 month later...
Guest aviator6369

Can anyone tell me a step by step process of what to expect at MEPS for the physical?

Thanks

Guest comanche

It is an all day event. They will do everything from paperwork to begin with to xrays, dental, blood work, vision tests, and a physical that is no fun! They will do some other easy things in there like your sitting height etc etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you completed the eye tests, hearing test, color vision tests, etc. at MEPS with no problems, do you still have to do them at your FC1 physical? If so, anyone know why?

Guest Thriller

If you went to Brooks, then chances are you did both the FC1 and MFS. Us ROTC guys do a two day event at Brooks. It combines both FC1 and MFS.

Don't confuse MEPS with MFS.

Peace,

THRILLER

I have a pilot slot with a Guard Unit and I am trying to get my physical done. I just went and did the MEPS commisioning physical and now the recruiter is telling me I have to go to the VA hospital to do another physical that will be combined with the MEPS one to make it a flying physical.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Also, does Brooks redue the entire flight physical when you get down there?

I'm worried because I barely passed the depth perception test at MEPS, luckily I had a forgiving technician, and I am worried about having to pass it again.

[ 17. February 2006, 16:47: Message edited by: spit21fire ]

Just for anyone elses information, I just found out that I am getting my FC1 physical done through the local VA hospital and my Guard unit. I guess they split up the tasks between each other. Oh, and they are going to go ahead and use my hearing test from MEPS, but not the vision stuff, unfortunatly, I'll have to pass that hard ass depth perception test all over again.

• 4 months later...

Will prior medicals be referenced when you go for you initial FC1 physical or to Brooks? I believe that MEPS physicals are good for 2 years, but are they kept on flie after that time?

Guest flightproak

You will take your FC1 to Brooks. I don't think the medical at MEPS is used in your FC1. You may face additional testing at Brooks based on results in your FC1. I would guess all physicals are kept in your medical records by your med folks.

I'm not sure if it will be kept on file but it won't have any effecton your FC1. That is a much much much more thorough physical that is standalone. "2" on what AKANG said. Brooks will test a bunch of other stuff, and if those tests have problems or complications, they will keep you there for retest and whatnot.

Guest doctidy

We routinely catch people saying "no asthma or lung problems" and then find historical data where they checked yes to the same question at a MEPS station 10 years ago.

BTW - usually that is an automatic DQ. For the Army...it is an automatic DQ.

Its called integrity and, like virginity, once you lose it you can never get it back.

• 7 months later...
Guest Bob81

I'm preparing to apply to the AF OTS Board 0703. The next step in my process is to complete the MEPS commissioning physical. I just talked to my recruiter today and she asked me if I am currently taking any prescription medications. I told her I take Aciphex for acid reflux and GERD symptoms. She said that she cannot schedule me for the MEPS physical b/c it is an automatic disqualifyer if I am currently taking any prescription meds.

I am going to stop taking the meds for awhile to see if I can do without them. If so, she said that she can get me scheduled for the physical but that there may be some paperwork issues b/c the doctors gererally dont like to sign off on a commissioning physical if the person has taken any prescription meds in the past 6-12 months. Can anyone verify and elaborate on this?

I developed these symptoms while on a military deployment to Iraq. I just find it hard to believe that a condition I developed as a result of my prior military service would prevent me from going back into the military.

Guest P27:17

Unless there is a Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story"...you should easily get a waiver for your GERD for commissioning standards. There is also a decent chance of getting one for FC I as well. Have her contact HQ AETC/SGPA (210) 652-3900 for clarification.

Good luck.

Edited by P27:17

• 2 months later...
Guest J.R. ANG

Got a real quick question. Is there anyway to determine if my MEPS physical has been certified/approved (what ever the correct term is). I am getting conflicting answers from different people. I had an application the went to the 07OT01 board, but I was not selected. The AD recruiter told me the physical was completed/certified. After the non-select, I contacted a reserves officer accession recruiter to get a package going for the next reserves board. He is telling me that the physical was never completed. I am just curious if there is any way that I can verify which is correct? Just trying to get all the information since I keep getting conflicting reports and so that I know what I am going to have to do when the 08OT01 board rolls around. :bash::bash: Thanks for any help.

Jason

Edited by J.R. ANG