ANG/AFR Application and Marijuana

Flybut

(moved this thread as I realized I posted it in the wrong subsection)

Hi all,

I'm currently in the ANG/AFR Hiring Circuit looking to make a long time dream into reality. As I'm just starting to get past the point of my first few applications, I have some questions/reservations regarding the 2030 Form and Questions about marijuana specifically.

I find that some upcoming and past boards (which I couldn't apply to in time) request a filled out 2030 Form, and some units even specifically ask about prior usage/number of times on their squadron questionnaire. Having searched deep through this site and others, I find much conflicting information and opinions on how to handle these questions, with much of it outdated and before the AF's loosening of policies regarding prior marijuana usage (in 2017 I believe?).

Full disclosure, I experimented with weed as a young and dumb high schooler once around 2011. I quickly found out it was not for me, along with any other types of drugs and haven't touched a thing since then. 

A fair amount of past feedback here and elsewhere points to the idea of incriminating yourself as a foolish notion and it seems to be that the status quo at one time was to simply fib about something like marijuana experimentation, otherwise you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

I'm certainly not keen on the idea of lying, but that being said I have a few questions that I'm hoping some Gray Beards and other with past experience may be able to help answer. 

1. Are units usually looking at the 2030 Form to judge your character/application or to simply to make sure you don't have any automatic disqualifications for commission? As I understand it, my situation is not disqualifying.

2.  In current AF culture, would the average guy on a hiring board or in a squadron look at a decade old one time MJ use as negatively affecting an application? How would you judge it personally? I'm guessing it must be of some importance if they include it on their own questionnaires as well.

3. The 2030 Form says that, although experimentation is not disqualifying, "Preservice marijuana use may render you ineligible for certain skills." Is this true practically from a pilot perspective? Has anyone heard of this applying to any sort of flying mission/qualification or any job for that matter?

Like I mentioned before, I don't like the idea of lying, but past info seems to suggest you should never present any information that could hurt you or your chances. I want to be honest, but I also don't want to negatively impact my chances even a little for something so frivolous when the applicant pool is competitive as it is, especially if its an unspoken suggestion to "omit" certain info.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

• Like 1

If it's just once I wouldn't think it's a big deal. A buddy of mine got picked up for Active Duty and had admitted to smoking pot a multiple times.

I thought I'd heard that as long as you'd used it less than like 200 times or something, you were in the clear.

Don't lie. You'll be stuck with it your whole career. You'll have to lie on every SF-86 you do for your clearances too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm currently a CFI with around 600 hours and planning on pursuing a pilot slot at my local guard unit (CA).

In the process of getting my medical, I disclosed to the FAA that I had a arrest (no conviction) for weed possession. It was dismissed and expunged. I also told them I had used about 50 times over about a year in high school. After several years of hair and random urine testing I got my medical cleared.

I'm wondering two things,

1. Will this pose a legal hurdle for getting any job in the Airforce?

2. Apart from that, how will this be viewed by the pilot review board that interviews me at the squadron?

I notice on the pilot posting on baseopps a prerequisite for the job is 'no history of drug abuse'. The FAA considered my usage 'abuse', what do you think the ANG will think?