23 Year Old Engineering Grad, what are my chances.

Stuff I Currently Have:

Scores:

• AFOQT: Pilot 89; Navigator 77; Academic Aptitude 94; Verbal 96; Quantitative 82
  • PCSM Score: 63 (80 with 201+ hours)

Education: 

• B.S. Mechanical Engineering from Lamar University
  • 3.2 GPA

Flight Experience:

• 46 Total Hours of Flying
  • Extensive Flight on a Citabria with an Extreme Tail-wheel Shimmy (correctly diagnosed the repair for the shimmy and also safely landed the aircraft with landing gear damage.)
  • Flew a Cessna 152 through the recent Sahara Dust Cloud, Experienced pre-detonation, correctly diagnosed poor fuel quality as the root-cause of failure post-flight.
  • FAA Medical 3rd Class

Work and Volunteer Experience

Volunteer | Space Settlement Design Competition | 2013 - Present

• Volunteer for a NASA sponsored industry simulation competition that simulates working on a design engineering team request for proposal for a habitable space-based facility with a very tight 48-hour deadline
  • Progressed from a student participant to VP Engineering to a CEO role as an adult volunteer
  • Provide management and technical guidance to a team of 64 students as the CEO of a simulated aerospace company
  • Presented to a panel to simulate pitching a design to a panel senior aerospace engineers in front of a large audience

Engineer | ADAK Digital Inc. | May 2019 - Present

• Designed a new image form into their job app that helped a local business secure a large client
  • Coordinated engineering outreach events attended by over two thousand students sponsored by ADAK Digital
  • Work in a team to secure contracts to provide engineering support to the V.A. and D.o.D.
  • Designed a comprehensive analysis of 22,426 miles of oil pipelines and 1,453 wind turbines owned and operated by a large energy company that contracted us out

Miscellaneous Accomplishments

• Presidents List for Perfect A's with a Full Course Load, Lamar University (Spring 2020)
  • Founding officer and secretary of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Lamar University
  • Space Settlement Design International Champion as Participant (2013)
  • Space Settlement Design National Champion as both CEO (2019) and participant (2014, 2013)
  • Judge in Mars Rover Celebration (2016)

Stuff I am Going to Do:

• Finish PPL (September/October 2020)
  • Tailwheel Endorsement (Aug 2020)
  • Retake TBAS hoping to increase PCSM score by 10 or more points
  • Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering from University of Houston
  • Aerobatic Training
  • FAA First Class Medical
  • Join Civil Air Patrol

If I am going for something pointy and fast, What are my chances currently? What would they be with the planned stuff? What are any recommendations to be better?

17 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Are you going AD or Guard/Reserve? If the latter, I would say your AFOQT is on the weaker side of things for fighters. Definitely need a TBAS retake to get probably a minimum of 85+ especially in the current climate of competitiveness. Hopefully you'll be rushing during all of this. As that will make or break you. Depending on how you mesh with units, and assuming your scores (at least pilot and PCSM) are in the 90's, then you should at least start to get some interviews.

Thank you, that was the impression I got as well. With the PCSM, do you mean it has to be 85+ for 201+ hours? Or do I actually have to get it up to that level with flight time?

1 hour ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

When I was rushing 2 years ago, the minimum that I saw for PCSM was 80 with current hours. I have heard some units (I think NOLA) consider 201+ hour brackets but I would want to be 85 or above for that column. 90 minimum to be on the safe side of things. 

Alright thanks! I appreciate the input, I'll work toward that.

Some units compare packets based on the 201+ score. Most consider the 201+ so they can get an idea of potential.

Definitely finish your PPL. Also, definitely retake the TBAS. Comparing your PCSM to your AFOQT scores, it looks like you didn't do great on the TBAS.

Also, rush units. Even before you retake the TBAS or finish your PPL. That'll be a huge difference when applying for units.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1