Jump to content
Baseops Forums

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, MSCguy said:

That’s a conundrum-if you got a slot other than UPT you’re pretty much locked into it.  However, the guy that scored below you on the board and got tagged as an alternate can walk right into a UPT slot if someone fails MFS, etc. and can’t go.

1 hour ago, OldUPTapplicant said:

I'll swap you a ABM slot lol. 

If only it were that easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSCguy said:

That’s a conundrum-if you got a slot other than UPT you’re pretty much locked into it. 

Or just straight up screwed.

 

My life right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doolsmack_Bud said:

Or just straight up screwed.

 

My life right now.

What’d you get picked up for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jjpoole741 said:

What’d you get picked up for?

URT.

ABM select here and saw you as well.  You gonna take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flat4power said:

URT.

ABM select here and saw you as well.  You gonna take it?

I am. I’m 33... that was my one and only opportunity for UPT. I’ve talked to a few ABMs recently and I feel pretty good about it now. 

Edited by jjpoole741

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, flat4power said:

URT.

ABM select here and saw you as well.  You gonna take it?

Not entirely sure yet, leaning towards no.  If It turns out I got the medical ETP, I might consider taking it on the hope they'll pull RPA trainees to UPT. 

 

If no ETP, then probably not.  I poured my heart out into that package to go fly.  I purposefully did not put in for rated out of USAFA because my medical was waivered for RPA only.  You think that, coupled with me going for a PPL, would clearly demonstrate my intent.  My personal letter said UPT and/or pilot probably a half dozen times or more.  My letter of recommendation was from a prominent fighter pilot that I actually knew fairly well and served under.  I was ranked 1st out of my wing (a prominent wing, as well), and my squadron commander who's signature was on my 215 was a fighter pilot using strong push language.  

 

But nah, give me URT.  Clearly, that's what I am here for.  At least a non-select would have left the door open for next year.  Ironically, the board probably selected me for this because "RPAs are flying, and he's qualified."  But I didn't need an ETP for RPA's...

 

It's very frustrating to have the air force take a dump over my dreams like this.  

 

/salt

Edited by Doolsmack_Bud
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doolsmack_Bud said:

Not entirely sure yet, leaning towards no.  If It turns out I got the medical ETP, I might consider taking it on the hope they'll pull RPA trainees to UPT. 

 

If no ETP, then probably not.  I poured my heart out into that package to go fly.  I purposefully did not put in for rated out of USAFA because my medical was waivered for RPA only.  You think that, coupled with me going for a PPL, would clearly demonstrate my intent.  My personal letter said UPT and/or pilot probably a half dozen times or more.  My letter of recommendation was from a prominent fighter pilot that I actually knew fairly well and served under.  I was ranked 1st out of my wing (a prominent wing, as well), and my squadron commander who's signature was on my 215 was a fighter pilot using strong push language.  

 

But nah, give me URT.  Clearly, that's what I am here for.  At least a non-select would have left the door open for next year.  Ironically, the board probably selected me for this because "RPAs are flying, and he's qualified."  But I didn't need an ETP for RPA's...

 

It's very frustrating to have the air force take a dump over my dreams like this.  

Keep your head up bro. I’m the same situation with different circumstances. I’m leaning towards no as well and pursue ANG/Reserve where I’m closer to family.  As years go by, I realize that I miss my family and missed weddings and birthdays already.  I’m still going to continue to fight our enemies but from a different team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel you, all I wanted was UPT but got selected for UCT, I still had one more year of eligibility so would have rather have been turned down and give me another year to build my score instead of having to make this choice of accepting something I'm not entirely set on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Doolsmack_Bud said:

Not entirely sure yet, leaning towards no.  If It turns out I got the medical ETP, I might consider taking it on the hope they'll pull RPA trainees to UPT. 

 

If no ETP, then probably not.  I poured my heart out into that package to go fly.  I purposefully did not put in for rated out of USAFA because my medical was waivered for RPA only.  You think that, coupled with me going for a PPL, would clearly demonstrate my intent.  My personal letter said UPT and/or pilot probably a half dozen times or more.  My letter of recommendation was from a prominent fighter pilot that I actually knew fairly well and served under.  I was ranked 1st out of my wing (a prominent wing, as well), and my squadron commander who's signature was on my 215 was a fighter pilot using strong push language.  

 

But nah, give me URT.  Clearly, that's what I am here for.  At least a non-select would have left the door open for next year.  Ironically, the board probably selected me for this because "RPAs are flying, and he's qualified."  But I didn't need an ETP for RPA's...

 

It's very frustrating to have the air force take a dump over my dreams like this.  

 

/salt

I can't say for the future, but 20ish post-IFT URT studs were sent to UPT last August before they started the pipeline. It came out as a "who wants to UPT" email. I was super salty because it happened barely a year after I graduated 😂. It was a push to fill the last of the fiscal years spots. Again, not common, but it happened. URT studs were the first and only choice to grab those last remaining dates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I disappointed I didn’t get picked up for UPT? Of course. But I will say, I feel better about it seeing the quality of the people who did get picked up. It was quite competitive and there were a ton of folks who probably deserve an opportunity. 

With that being said, I’m also a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. I’m looking forward to becoming an ABM. 

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Am I disappointed I didn’t get picked up for UPT? Of course. But I will say, I feel better about it seeing the quality of the people who did get picked up. It was quite competitive and there were a ton of folks who probably deserve an opportunity. 
With that being said, I’m also a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. I’m looking forward to becoming an ABM. 


When it comes to staff work, 100% would rather be in a bag than anything else. The work you can contribute is 10x more appealing. Sure, the flying life isn’t living the dream, but we’ll all end up at the 5 sided hell hole. Would you rather be helping figure out how to drop iron evil upon our enemies, or figure out how to pay the grass cutting contracts at Laughlin?

Congrats.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPT select...finally.

98 pilot, 93 PCSM, 101 flight hours (no ppl, just shy of it. deployments and shit), 30 years old with 7 years in, and just finished my ADSC as a CSO

2nd attempt at the board. Last year AFPC said they wouldn't release me because of the rated crisis across the AF, regardless of the competitive application.

@Hefe knows my pain. Valhalla!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RPA only nonselect 

PCSM 95

Pilot 96

GPA 3.6, MBA

PPL, 110 civ hours

Letter of Rec from Sr rater, 1/1 wg strat

Age 35

Several years ago I had a UPT slot thru the reserves and lost it because I was med DQed for all flying classes.  I recently heard that the eye condition I got DQed for was removed from the med standards for RPA and figured I’d give it a shot. 

Has anyone been able to obtain non select counseling from the UFT board?  The only thing I can think of is I’m 2 months into a 3 year overseas tour and my current career field wouldn’t curtail that much DEROS.  If that’s the case, I’ll just change the signature blocks to the wing cc for this base and apply again this fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MSCguy said:

RPA only nonselect 

PCSM 95

Pilot 96

GPA 3.6, MBA

PPL, 110 civ hours

Letter of Rec from Sr rater, 1/1 wg strat

Age 35

Several years ago I had a UPT slot thru the reserves and lost it because I was med DQed for all flying classes.  I recently heard that the eye condition I got DQed for was removed from the med standards for RPA and figured I’d give it a shot. 

Has anyone been able to obtain non select counseling from the UFT board?  The only thing I can think of is I’m 2 months into a 3 year overseas tour and my current career field wouldn’t curtail that much DEROS.  If that’s the case, I’ll just change the signature blocks to the wing cc for this base and apply again this fall.

Wow... strange. Your scores are fantastic. No idea... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, Doolsmack_Bud said:

Not entirely sure yet, leaning towards no.  If It turns out I got the medical ETP, I might consider taking it on the hope they'll pull RPA trainees to UPT. 

 

If no ETP, then probably not.  I poured my heart out into that package to go fly.  I purposefully did not put in for rated out of USAFA because my medical was waivered for RPA only.  You think that, coupled with me going for a PPL, would clearly demonstrate my intent.  My personal letter said UPT and/or pilot probably a half dozen times or more.  My letter of recommendation was from a prominent fighter pilot that I actually knew fairly well and served under.  I was ranked 1st out of my wing (a prominent wing, as well), and my squadron commander who's signature was on my 215 was a fighter pilot using strong push language.  

 

But nah, give me URT.  Clearly, that's what I am here for.  At least a non-select would have left the door open for next year.  Ironically, the board probably selected me for this because "RPAs are flying, and he's qualified."  But I didn't need an ETP for RPA's...

 

It's very frustrating to have the air force take a dump over my dreams like this.  

 

/salt

It appears the board selected you for RPA because you "didn't need an ETP for RPA's."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warriorboy16 said:

It appears the board selected you for RPA because you "didn't need an ETP for RPA's."

I wouldn't have declined to apply for rated out of USAFA nor put in for an ETP if it wasn't clear what my intent was.

 

I understand their thinking, but I've already declined RPA's in the past.  Why would I accept this time around?  Did I need to explicitly say that I'd much rather be in my current career field than RPAs?

Edited by Doolsmack_Bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It appears the board selected you for RPA because you "didn't need an ETP for RPA's."

My understanding is the board used E-BOSS and selects were based on order of merit.

Having talked to O-6s that have been on boards before, if you declined or self eliminated from rated before it is a bad look.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Padre said:


My understanding is the board used E-BOSS and selects were based on order of merit.

Having talked to O-6s that have been on boards before, if you declined or self eliminated from rated before it is a bad look.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

And that's the trick- at USAFA since I knew that if I applied for rated the only job I could get was RPA's, I didn't apply for rated.  It's not that I declined, it's that I never put myself in a position where I needed to decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party, the forums email validation didn't work for me for awhile. This forum has been a huge help so I wanted to throw some hopefully helpful info out from my experience.

 

ENJJPT select (Capt 26)

PCSM:94 

Hours: 101 (no ppl ... Had 2 Mx and one We discontinuance after passing the oral and scheduling DPE's is hard)

Pilot: 96

GPA: 2.7 

Ac Ap: 98

1/1 agency strat (I'm outside big blue)

Deputy directors rec letter (best equates to MAJCOM)

I'm more than happy to share info with folks who want to apply in future (I was rejected my first board).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, jjpoole741 said:

Am I disappointed I didn’t get picked up for UPT? Of course. But I will say, I feel better about it seeing the quality of the people who did get picked up. It was quite competitive and there were a ton of folks who probably deserve an opportunity. 

With that being said, I’m also a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. I’m looking forward to becoming an ABM. 

This.

Good attitude, great words.  Humbleness will take you far and it sounds like ABM land just got a great officer.

All the best

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

So are we anticipating training dates/locations tomorrow?

AFPC will start loading one by one after public release. Then it is up to your MPF and training monitor to inform you. I would realistically envision Thursday at the soonest for most. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

So are we anticipating training dates/locations tomorrow?

I'm expecting the TDYs to get loaded tomorrow based off of last year's turnaround. The PCSs though probably closer to the end of the week or the beginning of the next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the post but got picked up for URT!!(currently a CSO) Im super excited for this new opportunity! Can’t wait! Congrats to all selects as well! 

Also if anyone has questions about UCT or If you got ABM selected and want to know about the JSTARS or life at Robins AFB, hit me up 

Edited by NavLivesMatter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...