Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guzowskienator

Chances for ANG UPT

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I'm scheduled to take the AFOQT again here in the next few weeks. I've been studying a lot, using book such as "AFOQT Secrets, Peterson's, and Barron's. The last time I took this was 2010. For those who scored well on AFOQT, any recommendations on more study material I should look into? I've also downloaded other (older) AFOQT tests to practice.

Peterson's has an online timed practice test. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/default.aspx?refURL=www.PetersonsDoDLibrary.com&v=af

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcarros3 said:

I'm scheduled to take the AFOQT again here in the next few weeks. I've been studying a lot, using book such as "AFOQT Secrets, Peterson's, and Barron's. The last time I took this was 2010. For those who scored well on AFOQT, any recommendations on more study material I should look into? I've also downloaded other (older) AFOQT tests to practice.

If I were to retake it I would focus on Barron's primarily; math in particular. I bought 4 books and Barron's was the only one worth the time, IMO.

You can also find 2 free tests here: http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams/

From what I remember they were fairly accurate. I printed them both out and took them as realistically as possible. 

 

My scores were P: 95 N: 93 AA: 81 V: 87 Q: 66. Not the best but not too shabby.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PilotCandidate said:

If I were to retake it I would focus on Barron's primarily; math in particular. I bought 4 books and Barron's was the only one worth the time, IMO.

You can also find 2 free tests here: http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams/

From what I remember they were fairly accurate. I printed them both out and took them as realistically as possible. 

 

My scores were P: 95 N: 93 AA: 81 V: 87 Q: 66. Not the best but not too shabby.

Good advice there. Keep in mind that the only scores that matter (Pilot and Nav) are scored only using certain sections, not the entire test. Study those sections the hardest. Everything else is secondary. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gtseth818 said:

Do some googling and figure out what test version is applicable. I'll give you a hint: a book from 2010 ain't gonna have the correct layout.

Yeah no hidden figures, and something else. Lots of info on this in other threads. I was happy to not see hidden figures on my exam, I could not see those damn things no matter how much I practiced haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gtseth818 said:

Do some googling and figure out what test version is applicable. I'll give you a hint: a book from 2010 ain't gonna have the correct layout.

I know it's the form T and I've been on AF's website, downloaded their study materials, but I wanted to see from other who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study guide really helped them. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by pcarros3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Edw26 said:

Peterson's has an online timed practice test. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/default.aspx?refURL=www.PetersonsDoDLibrary.com&v=af

I have and it was much harder than the Barron's or the AFOQT Study guide book I got. I was wondering, from those who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study material prepared them better?

Edited by pcarros3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PilotCandidate said:

If I were to retake it I would focus on Barron's primarily; math in particular. I bought 4 books and Barron's was the only one worth the time, IMO.

You can also find 2 free tests here: http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams/

From what I remember they were fairly accurate. I printed them both out and took them as realistically as possible. 

 

My scores were P: 95 N: 93 AA: 81 V: 87 Q: 66. Not the best but not too shabby.

Thanks. I've already printed them out. I've taken Barron's Tests, Peterson's Test, AFOQT Study Book Version T Test, and two downloaded online tests as though I was taking the real test. Thanks for the help. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I have and it was much harder than the Barron's or the AFOQT Study guide book I got. I was wondering, from those who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study material prepared them better?

Dude I been using the Barron practice test and the free ones on afoqtstudyguide.com and I did decent on those but when I took the Peterson ones I did awful. I was going to to take the real test this month but I'm going to postpone it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I have and it was much harder than the Barron's or the AFOQT Study guide book I got. I was wondering, from those who have taken the AFOQT recently, which study material prepared them better?

Which areas did you do poorly on the first time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

Thanks TK1313. Those are both good books, and you can actually take the tests online for free at http://www.nelnetsolutions.com. Great testing site, although I can't get the Test Prep app to work. But, the site itself offers great testing and has been harder than the books, when it came to timed testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Edw26 said:

Which areas did you do poorly on the first time?

Verbal and Quantitative. Although, on the Peterson's test prep, I didn't have enough time to finish the Arithmetic section. I did well with Arithmetic sections using other test prep books (Barron's, AFOQT Test Prep Book, online AFOQT test downloads).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

Verbal and Quantitative. Although, on the Peterson's test prep, I didn't have enough time to finish the Arithmetic section. I did well with Arithmetic sections using other test prep books (Barron's, AFOQT Test Prep Book, online AFOQT test downloads).

What do you consider well?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That's good. How did you do on the test from nelnet?

10 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

3 wrong out of 25 questions, in 22 minutes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gear3green said:

 That's good. How did you do on the test from nelnet?

 

I got 14 wrong out of 25. I felt like the problems took more of my time than the books. Maybe it's just me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, PilotCandidate said:

If I were to retake it I would focus on Barron's primarily; math in particular. I bought 4 books and Barron's was the only one worth the time, IMO.

You can also find 2 free tests here: http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams/

From what I remember they were fairly accurate. I printed them both out and took them as realistically as possible. 

 

My scores were P: 95 N: 93 AA: 81 V: 87 Q: 66. Not the best but not too shabby.

Thanks, yea, I already printed these and took them. I still felt like these were easier than the one on nelnetsolutions.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pcarros3 said:

I got 14 wrong out of 25. I felt like the problems took more of my time than the books. Maybe it's just me.

Oh man you're not the only one. Dude they are harder. Let's just say my feelings got a bit hurt after I finished too. Haha 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, gear3green said:

Oh man you're not the only one. Dude they are harder. Let's just say my feelings got a bit hurt after I finished too. Haha 

It's refreshing to know I am not the only one who thought it was harder.  I wonder what others, who've taken the test, think?

Edited by pcarros3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2017 at 5:57 PM, guzowskienator said:

 

Ladies & Gents,

 

Been working on this awhile and finally saw the years ticking away on the calendar (about to be 27) so I got my act together.

 

Took the AFOQT two weeks ago:

Pilot 98

Nav 99

AA 82

Verb 83

Quant 72

 

That quantitative score hurt a bit, had several questions not in my study guides. Oh well!

 

Then last Friday I finished my PPL - luckily passed the first time because apparently a checkride is $650 these days.

 

TBAS is scheduled for tomorrow. I think I can get to ~80 flying hours before packets are due and hope that is good enough for a decent PCSM.

 

Finished school in '12 with a BBA in Accounting and Finance. 3.36gpa.

 

Have been working since graduation, have a ton of family in the military (brother and sister are AD AF pilots), and LoRs from Managers and my CFI (no, I don't know any Generals who can write me one). I feel pretty good but I know the competition is stiff these days.

 

Anything else I should be working on to boost my chances?

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

What material did you use to study? Do you have recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What material did you use to study? Do you have recommendations?


Pcarros, I used a very outdated Barron's which was still pretty good - just ignored the areas that weren't applicable. I think what helped the most is I was wrapping up my private and had just taken the knowledge test a month earlier. If you're a ppl the aviation areas should all be very easy. Otherwise I'd make a ton of flash cards. If there are concepts you don't get then checkout YouTube.

I work full time so I'd come home and study 6-10pm and about 8hrs over the weekend. I think that routine for 6-8 weeks would make anyone prepared.

I I tried that nelnet test awhile back and absolutely bombed it. I can't remember at all if it was similar to the real test


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, guzowskienator said:

 


Pcarros, I used a very outdated Barron's which was still pretty good - just ignored the areas that weren't applicable. I think what helped the most is I was wrapping up my private and had just taken the knowledge test a month earlier. If you're a ppl the aviation areas should all be very easy. Otherwise I'd make a ton of flash cards. If there are concepts you don't get then checkout YouTube.

I work full time so I'd come home and study 6-10pm and about 8hrs over the weekend. I think that routine for 6-8 weeks would make anyone prepared.

I I tried that nelnet test awhile back and absolutely bombed it. I can't remember at all if it was similar to the real test


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Thanks for the info. I have my ppl and obtained it about 1.5 years ago, but my work keeps me sharp on all the aviation knowledge. I'm in the same boat, as I work full time and have to come home and study. I did the same exact thing, regarding the Barron's book, as far as studying and testing in the areas only applicable to the new version T test.

Do you recall if there was specific study material that really prepped you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pcarros3 said:

Thanks for the info. I have my ppl and obtained it about 1.5 years ago, but my work keeps me sharp on all the aviation knowledge. I'm in the same boat, as I work full time and have to come home and study. I did the same exact thing, regarding the Barron's book, as far as studying and testing in the areas only applicable to the new version T test.

Do you recall if there was specific study material that really prepped you?

I was also trying to find THE book that would best prepare me, but from my own experience preparing for the test, and from seeing reviews of several materials others used, it seems like most people use a wide variety of materials to prepare. A lot of people seem to use GRE prep books as well. I did and thought it helped quite a bit with math and verbal. Now my math score was pretty bad, but it was more because I ran out of time rather than not knowing how to work the problems. The best advice I got is to do timed tests. Do them over and over and over until you can finish everything within the time allotted. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue with the books is that not all of them are updated for the Form T. At least, none of the good books (ex. Barron's) were at the time I took the test. I just bought the older Barron's book, cut out the sections that weren't relevant anymore... and studied my ass off. Ran a practice test (timed) as a diagnostic, scored those sections and literally studied from the worst score to the best. Between doing that and digesting the AF materials online... I got what I wanted from the experience.

Pilot: 98 Nav: 96 Acad: 83 Verbal: 94 Quant: 60

Keep in mind, I tailored my prep to Pilot/Nav. Quant suffered because there were math sections I never even looked at (because they weren't relevant to my career interests). I haven't once been asked about why it's low, nor has anyone cared.

At the end of the day, you're gonna need to develop a gameplan for this. Not too unlike the planning you'll have to do in UPT, or at various points in your college careers. If you can't figure that out... I can't help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...