Fitness In TFOT

RunningMan

Does anyone have any recent feedback on the fitness regimen in TFOT? I am not asking because I am worried about meeting the minimum. How often and long are the run sessions specifically? Also, any idea on the fitness schedule in UPT? Is it a mandatory 1hr per day? Thanks. 

I just commissioned through OTS on the 10th. PT during TFIT/TFOT is a joke. It will be mandatory 2 to 3 times a week as a group. You will workout for maybe 15-20 minutes of directed exercises, and my class usually ran straight to the chow hall for breakfast after our last exercise without having time to stretch or cool down. Be careful of injuries. Several PT sessions had 250 cadets sprinting directly at each other in the dark. You will have time to workout on your own whether its outdoors or at the gym on the OTS campus.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

22 minutes ago, black hills tj said:

I just commissioned through OTS on the 10th. PT during TFIT/TFOT is a joke. It will be mandatory 2 to 3 times a week as a group. You will workout for maybe 15-20 minutes of directed exercises, and my class usually ran straight to the chow hall for breakfast after our last exercise without having time to stretch or cool down. Be careful of injuries. Several PT sessions had 250 cadets sprinting directly at each other in the dark. You will have time to workout on your own whether its outdoors or at the gym on the OTS campus.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

Wow, really? Thanks for the info. I was told it was a 2-4 mile timed run every other day, in addition to other workouts (including weight training) so I was going to prepare for that.

Edited by tk1313

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/16/2017 at 9:14 AM, tk1313 said:

Wow, really? Thanks for the info. I was told it was a 2-4 mile timed run every other day, in addition to other workouts (including weight training) so I was going to prepare for that.

I commissioned March of 2016 and had a similar experience in DET12. The level of intensity is pretty low threat and if anything is suitable to preparing for the official PT test so think of it as just staying in shape if you show up already physically prepared. IMHO the biggest risk to washing out comes from personal injury. Since a lot of the PT is cadet led I would be careful to stretch like you normally would and just take care of yourself. Idiot cadets who have never done PT in their life will be tasked to lead exercises and will find ways to get you hurt. Also watch out on the LRC (or whatever the obstacle puzzle challenges were called) for the same reasons. The squadron runs are kind of nice in terms of distance/pace/workout to start the day off bright and early (4:30AM) but they are actually physically terrible for you. A friend of a friend I may or may not know injured his knee in the latter half of the program because of they way they do those runs. My 2cts

• Upvote 2

Volunteer to be a road guard on squadron runs it gets you out of the pack which lets you stretch out a bit and set your stride.  In the middle of the pack you cant see pot holes coming up in front of you in the dark when most of the runs happened and if you have uncoordinated people around you they start stepping on your feet especially once everyone is fatigued.  If you do road guard avoid the temptation to cut across corners as there are holes in the fields.  Otherwise all the above advice is pretty consistent with my experience in October 2016 in the 24th TRS, emphasis is on avoiding injury.

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

Dear all,

Last year while playing soccer, i twisted my knee and broke my ligament. I was diagnosed with ACL injury. My doctor now has advised me to get arthoscopic surgery and he believes that ill be able to walk, run and play within 6 months (i can still run and i am in complete motion) . I am planning to start my aviation career by 2019 as a commercial pilot from UAE. I am just afraid whether i should go for this surgery or not since my doctor said that they are going to put a tiny piece of titanium inside my knee and this might effect my career as commercial pilot. ACL injury is a very common injury and the only way out of this injury is the arthoscopic surgery. 

What i want to ask is that, is my dream of becoming an airline pilot over? Can i not become a commercial airline pilot because of my injury and this small titanium piece that they are going to put in my knee? What should i do? 

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: While I was at OTS, the leadership specifically said "We read everything online about how the physical training here is not challenging, so we are specifically inceasing the intensity and frequency of PT."

Personally, I thought the PT at first was a bit forced. We seemed to do 5 days straight of running (~ 3 miles at a slow pace), then rest for a day or two, then 5 days of mainly chest exercises. At the end of the course, a lot of people had complaints about how the workouts weren't "varied" enough. The leadership seemed to take notes on that and I'm sure it'll be more of a mix of muscle groups for the next few classes.

Our class was specifically told we were doing a lot more PT than previous classes, so YMMV... All in all, I can't complain, but I would liked to have had more personal PT time to hit the gym instead of always doing body weight stuff... But you can't make everyone happy.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

On 3/25/2018 at 5:19 PM, tk1313 said:

UPDATE: While I was at OTS, the leadership specifically said "We read everything online about how the physical training here is not challenging, so we are specifically inceasing the intensity and frequency of PT."

Personally, I thought the PT at first was a bit forced. We seemed to do 5 days straight of running (~ 3 miles at a slow pace), then rest for a day or two, then 5 days of mainly chest exercises. At the end of the course, a lot of people had complaints about how the workouts weren't "varied" enough. The leadership seemed to take notes on that and I'm sure it'll be more of a mix of muscle groups for the next few classes.

Our class was specifically told we were doing a lot more PT than previous classes, so YMMV... All in all, I can't complain, but I would liked to have had more personal PT time to hit the gym instead of always doing body weight stuff... But you can't make everyone happy.

Hey, three minutes of hip rotations followed by six laps around a track (extra points for dodging the forty cadets on profile walking around!), with zero time to stretch after, was more than enough PT for me. :)

Seriously though, the PT is, mostly, a joke. Of course, when we had a cadet break his ankle the very first PT session we were allowed to do self-led PT, it makes sense why they make you color within the lines until the PFA. If you're truly serious about your PT, after the first couple weeks you can hit the gym in the time between reveille and breakfast, when no one is there.