Less than perfect ANG application?

tk1313

Question

STUPID QUESTION ALERT: I just wanted to some of the guys who have been interviewed/hired for the ANG/AFRC... Have you ever submitted an application package that was less than ideal? I have had my eyes on a squadron that isn't necessarily close to where I work (about a day's drive), but it is in my home state and just seems like a good fit for me. Here are the following issues:
1. My PCSM is below the minimum for my flight hours (34). When I contacted them about it, they told me they look at the 201+ column, and to submit my application anyways.
2. I only have a class II, and not a class I medical (yet). I have amazing eyesight, and have been told that the class I thing isn't a huge consideration as long as the reason for not having the class I is the fact that you aren't physically qualified.
3. I probably will only have 1 (maybe 2) letters of recommendation. Although strong, the unit allows a maximum of 3, and I don't want them to think I'm not taking them seriously if I don't max everything out.

I don't want to ruin any future chances with the squadron if they see my package and think, "Man, this guy just submitted garbage to us", especially since they're a squadron I could see myself applying to multiple times.

• Upvote 1

3 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

STUPID QUESTION ALERT: I just wanted to some of the guys who have been interviewed/hired for the ANG/AFRC... Have you ever submitted an application package that was less than ideal? I have had my eyes on a squadron that isn't necessarily close to where I work (about a day's drive), but it is in my home state and just seems like a good fit for me. Here are the following issues:
1. My PCSM is below the minimum for my flight hours (34). When I contacted them about it, they told me they look at the 201+ column, and to submit my application anyways.
2. I only have a class II, and not a class I medical (yet). I have amazing eyesight, and have been told that the class I thing isn't a huge consideration as long as the reason for not having the class I is the fact that you aren't physically qualified.
3. I probably will only have 1 (maybe 2) letters of recommendation. Although strong, the unit allows a maximum of 3, and I don't want them to think I'm not taking them seriously if I don't max everything out.

I don't want to ruin any future chances with the squadron if they see my package and think, "Man, this guy just submitted garbage to us", especially since they're a squadron I could see myself applying to multiple times.

When your package is weak in one particular are, you should do your best to strengthen  the other areas to the best of your ability. Units hired based on the whole person concept and how well they think you fit in. I've seen people get hired at units with less then stellar scores. As far as  being competitive for this and any future board, I would suggest  you retake the TBAS and try to get more flight hours if you are able to. I myself have not been hired by a unit yet, but have had a few interviews and continue to make my package stronger with the feedback obtained from those interviews. Lastly, one of the best thing you can do is to go and visit the unit. This way they can get an idea of who you are and what your motives are. 

• Upvote 1

When is the deadline? It shouldn't be hard to find an AME and get a Class I Medical within a couple of days, but if they explicitly said that Class II is acceptable for applying, then you can save your money. I also don't think that getting another 2 letters of recommendation in a relatively short timeframe should be difficult. Do the legwork and write the first drafts of the letters yourself, and tell the people you want signing them that they're free to make changes as they see fit. You can make up for weaknesses by being strong in other areas, but those 2 factors in particular are very much in your control.

Edited by mb1685
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm not so worried about not being strong in other areas. I am confident in my other attributes, and even my flying skills, I just don't want it to come off as "hey, take my halfway put together packet and that's all you get". I'm trying to get my Class I done, I'm just waiting on my 3 years of medical history from my old doctor (no, I don't have 3 years of appointments memorized).... I'm going to reach out to a bunch of people over the next couple of days to try to give me recommendations, and I'll write myself a good recommendation and see if they'll concur with what I've written and sign it (great advice, mb). If I'm lucky enough to get an interview, I'll definitely be more at ease. I love interviews, because I've never really bought into the whole "my scores determine who I am". Again, not trying to make excuses for doing poor, I would just take walking into an interview room over simply submitting scores any day. Good thing ANG/AFRC at least requires a face-to-face interview if you pass the initial screening (scores/resume/etc).

Edited by tk1313