Any recently approved ETP waivers?

I can only speak for the Guard/Reserve side, but I was also a prior Active duty guy who got out (DD214), then returned to the reserve side and needed an age ETP. Sounds like 2 possible ETP's you're talking about? The total federal service one shouldn't be too hard to get, I think I fell under that and didn't really hear a thing about it from my hiring unit. The age waiver was another story entirely, that sucker is traditionally tougher to get, but times are changing so who knows what the current thought is there.

Bottom line: If a unit likes you, they will go to bat for you and make those things happen. I didn't have any input into it really, aside from giving the required information to the recruiters when I was asked for it. I think the units themselves will handle that stuff. It won't be a situation where you can just pursue an ETP from NGB/AFRES and have the various units accept that. It's state/unit dependent. When I was going through this stuff (2014), I found heavy units where more likely to grant them vs fighter units. 

I'd share mine but honestly I've never even seen the damn thing, was completely transparent and behind the scenes. Being a prior active guy however, you have a leg up as most units prefer prior guys IMO. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Cameltactics said:

I can only speak for the Guard/Reserve side, but I was also a prior Active duty guy who got out (DD214), then returned to the reserve side and needed an age ETP. Sounds like 2 possible ETP's you're talking about? The total federal service one shouldn't be too hard to get, I think I fell under that and didn't really hear a thing about it from my hiring unit. The age waiver was another story entirely, that sucker is traditionally tougher to get, but times are changing so who knows what the current thought is there.

Bottom line: If a unit likes you, they will go to bat for you and make those things happen. I didn't have any input into it really, aside from giving the required information to the recruiters when I was asked for it. I think the units themselves will handle that stuff. It won't be a situation where you can just pursue an ETP from NGB/AFRES and have the various units accept that. It's state/unit dependent. When I was going through this stuff (2014), I found heavy units where more likely to grant them vs fighter units. 

I'd share mine but honestly I've never even seen the damn thing, was completely transparent and behind the scenes. Being a prior active guy however, you have a leg up as most units prefer prior guys IMO. 

Great thanks for the info! Only one ETP... just TFCSD. I'm 27 so I should be good on age... for now.

1 hour ago, jaygebee said:

Great thanks for the info! Only one ETP... just TFCSD. I'm 27 so I should be good on age... for now.

I'd get cracking on the process because of the age. Typically, once you are hired, it'll take up to a year before you are in pilot training (possibly longer). The current rule I believe is you have to start UPT (be on the flight line) by your 30th birthday. If you can't meet that, age waiver is required. So next big steps are take the required tests (AFOQT, TBAS), put a good package together, and start rushing units.