Reporting to UPT early

Guest Toreador

Guest Toreador

Am I allowed to report into UPT early? If so, how early can I/ should I? Is there some AFI that says how early I can report in to UPT? I am just anxious to get started. Any help in the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest kirkhac

You're not going to be able to start early by showing up early. You probably won't even be able to get pubs unless you get a casual job in the bookstore. Don't be too anxious, UPT will still be there when your time comes. Sorry I guess I didn't answer your question.

Guest T38driver

What do you mean "report into UPT early"? Your orders will tell you when to report to the base. They should also tell you your start date. There will be about 25 other people starting on the same day. Thus a class is formed, and about a year later, you'll finish.

Guest lovelacm

Honestly, I PCS'd from my casual base to my UPT base about 2 - 2.5 weeks earlier than my Class Start Date.. that gave me (and the family) to get into a house, get our house hold goods, get the Bold Face down pat, and get to know a few of my classmates. Any earlier than that and I think I'd've gotten stuck with a "Stash Job" watching people pee or something.

Advice above is great! Enjoy the time you've got now.. relax a bit.. get the BF and possibly Ops Limits in your nugget.. but don't rush it.

Cheers!

Linda

Your report not later than date, is just that. You should be able to report a little early, talk to your commander about leaving a little early. Looking back I would have liked to have gotten here a few days earlier so that I could be a little more settled in when class started.

Guest priorE

I got to UPT 2 months early. You just call your UPT base and see if it's cool with them and have your commander sign off on it.

Like someone mentioned, it doesn't mean you'll start, though. I had 2 months to chill "work" at a casual job

Guest Toreador

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I know I wont be starting when I get there, I was asking more about getting settled in, paperwork and moving and all that, before UPT started. I have also heard that if you get in too early you get stuck being an Office Space approved paper monkey. I just wasnt sure what kind of timeframe for getting there early I should be looking at.

Guest priorE
I was asking more about getting settled in, paperwork and moving and all that, before UPT started
Yeah, I definitely didn't regret having 2 months to get all of that done. It's not a problem for a lot of people to do in 2 days, but if ya have a family it's a great opportunity to find a house and do all of the other things you may need to do to get settled in. You'll have a lot less to stress about when it's time to start class.

As far as getting a job while you wait, at least in my experience, my days were very easy and short. Not something to worry about.

• 4 months later...
Guest newflyer

I thought about a smart assed response...but thought better of it.

I'd say you'd be golden to show up in short sleeved blues, no tie. Unless there is specific guidance for your base stating otherwise, like perhaps a welcome letter from billeting or an OSS website.

Good luck!

Guest bgpilot99

I would say two weeks was perfect. I'm at Laughlin so I can't speak for other bases, but from what I've heard none of the UPT bases are that desirable and you probably don't want to spend much more time there then you have to. Just my 2 cents. Good luck bro!

Originally posted by Nightrider03:

What office at Moody would I contact? Would it be the registrar or someone else? Thanks!

Not in college anymore...no more registrars. Registrar=OSS...call them.

Kinda piggybacking off of what Linda said, a couple of weeks is plenty time to get there early. Not enough time for a casual job but enough time to get your inprocessing done, maybe get pubs, meet some classmates, and figure out where your at. If you're married gives your wife some time to find a job, or at least get familiar with the area.

If that all happens for ya I would memorize the BF, maybe the ops limits, but that's it. Don't try and geek out on the pubs. It won't make enough sense to you in the time you'd put in for it to be worth your time. You'll have people teach you that and within a short matter of time all your classmates and you will be on the same sheet of music to succeed or go down in flames.

IMHO.