AFRES Sponsorship?

Has anyony gone to the AFRES national board un sponsored and been given a slot? I am on the sponsorship hunt and have been calling AFRES units all over the nation, with no success. I have a fully completed package that I am trying to get in the right hands of people and they just blow me off. I figure if I can get a slot through the national board, then at least units will return my phone calls and e-mails. It seems like a much selling point saying "yeah I already have a pilot slot all you have to do is let me hang out for a while, realize I am not a D-Bag, and sign the sponsorship papers" I know it is a slim chance but has anyone here done this.

When I was selected a few years ago there were a few guys on the list that were selected without sponsors. Things are a little lean right now; units are full due to the airlines sucking, and people scrambling from the BRAC. People from units on the list are beginning to look for new homes.

Keep trying to contact units. Spread a wide geographical net. When I was looking for a sponsor I sold myself as a person who was ready to go to pilot training the day after selection; meaning, I was commissioned, I had my ratings, passed my Physical, and I had a security clearance. All of these things can take you out of the process. Accumulate has many of them as possible and sell yourself as a candidate that is ready to go. It does two things; first you should not be knocked out of the process before you get to UPT; second you are less work for them to get ready.

One last thing. If a guy is such an laughing rectum that he will not take a few minutes to talk to you on the phone you probably didn't want to work for him anyway. I know someone is going to say he may have been to busy to talk, or had work to do, or his dog died, crabs, bad day, whatever. That's cool give him another shot: jerk the second time I would stay away.

So, when I went through the whole sponsorship deal I was offered a couple slots, and I turned one interview down based solely on the fact that I did not believe that I would fit into that unit. It's not just about them liking you, you should also like them.

Good luck

thanks for the upbeat post pirate. It is real easy to get discouraged in this games as we all know.....some of us way to well. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I am going to just keep on keepin on.