College to ANG?

Guest eagleknight97

Guest eagleknight97

Hey everyone, im a newbie here, so pardon my ignorance and please feel free to correct any mistakes of mine.

Anyways, I have a few questions for all of you. First off, I wanna know what the Guard is all about. I was in a ROTC program for a year and a half, but decided Active Duty was not for me. However, I still have a desire to be in the AF some way. I always hear that you can do the guard as kind of a part time job. I realize that its not a part time commitment, that you must be willing to sacrafice your life in defense of your country if called upon to do so. However, what is the time frame, from deciding to join, to being done with training and finally whats the time commitment once your in? And I also realize that deployments happen, and as of right now, im sure they happen quite frequently. Thanks you for any and all help that you provide!

First off, I wanna know what the Guard is all about
The Guard has a state, as well as a federal mission. 90% of the time, we fall under the governor of the state. We are "federalized" by Presidential Mobilization and various other activating sources. We are held to the same standards as Active Duty (as a -130 Guard guy, my flying requirements are exactly the same as an Active Duty guy), but we have multiple ways of getting paid. This is only a brief overview of what the Guard does. Do a google search or go the Air Guard's website.

However, what is the time frame, from deciding to join, to being done with training and finally whats the time commitment once your in?
This really depends on what career field you decide to enter. Could be as short as 3 months or as long as 1.5 years. I believe basic is still 6 wks. and tech school lengths vary. AMS is 6 wks, with varying lengths of schools for officers. Call a Guard unit near you and talk to the recruiter and ask generalized questions.

Guest AirGuardian

If you're talking about being picked by one of our Guard units to attend flight training, then you can count on at least 1.5 years normally 2 or more from start to finishing your initial qualification course in the aircraft your unit hosts...

Commitment paperwork: I've seen 6,7 yrs here and there, but it's normally ten after UPT. It fluctuates according to pilot shortages or not. Have seen people break it depending on circumstances, but not recommended...

But, if you actually count up the service time as 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year with added training here and there plus other duty - your service time at the bare minumum during a projected normal 10 years is just above 3 to 4 years total with a bare minimum of trips in there as well...

Of course, with activations going on here and there and ops tempo always rising, you can expect more for quite some time...

Guest eagleknight97

Well, flying isnt necessarily my main goal. It would be cool, but wouldnt be the main objective for joining the guard. I wouldnt have a problem at all just doing something like SF or something else. I guess what im wondering is say I got a non pilot/nav job, what would the time requirement be on a monthly basis?

Providing you did not get deployed, it is only one weekend a month. Like at my base when I was just a weekender, it was saturday and sunday 6:00am to 2:30 Pm. Then for 2 weeks during the year sometime, you go to the base and work in your assigned AFSC. Thats about it, unless you get a full time job. For me, I was a fuel systems technician when I was enlisted. Basic training-6 weeks, tech school 6 weeks, then back home. So I was gone for about a total of 3 months.

• 6 years later...

Hello everyone, I'm resurrecting an old thread because my question is brief and related to this topic..

I am a sophomore in college, my primary goal/focus is to get a pilot slot in the guard, at this point i'm looking towards fighters. I have an opportunity to enlist in a unit that supports vipers. My question is whether or not you all believe that would be a good move, I am in my second year so taking time off to go to basic and tech school would conceivably take me out of school for a year (two semesters), since my plan is to start applying as soon as I get my degree, is this even a good use of time? second, and a little more obscure question, I have just put a down payment of $750.00 to get orthodontic braces, this is non refundable. Although I would sacrifice all of that hard earned cash for the sake of a shot at UPT. I'll just say that my teeth and jaw really need to be fixed soon. It is only recently that I discovered you can't have braces in basic.

At this point, should I just focus on beefing up my package and abandon my thoughts of enlisting? How many out there have gotten picked up by the guard without prior enlisting? My research has shown me very few...

thank you for your time.

Hello everyone, I'm resurrecting an old thread because my question is brief and related to this topic..

I am a sophomore in college, my primary goal/focus is to get a pilot slot in the guard, at this point i'm looking towards fighters. I have an opportunity to enlist in a unit that supports vipers. My question is whether or not you all believe that would be a good move, I am in my second year so taking time off to go to basic and tech school would conceivably take me out of school for a year (two semesters), since my plan is to start applying as soon as I get my degree, is this even a good use of time? second, and a little more obscure question, I have just put a down payment of $750.00 to get orthodontic braces, this is non refundable. Although I would sacrifice all of that hard earned cash for the sake of a shot at UPT. I'll just say that my teeth and jaw really need to be fixed soon. It is only recently that I discovered you can't have braces in basic.

At this point, should I just focus on beefing up my package and abandon my thoughts of enlisting? How many out there have gotten picked up by the guard without prior enlisting?

thank you for your time.

If you've read much on this board, you'll realize we're split about 60/40 on getting the degree first, or enlisting first. My personal opinion is get the degree first, then apply to units as a straight-up pilot applicant, or enlist after you get your degree, then try to get a UPT slot from within the unit. Both avenues have their merits, and whichever you choose the concept is the same: high GPA, be a good student/troop, and work your a$$ off. Good luck.

At this point, should I just focus on beefing up my package and abandon my thoughts of enlisting? How many out there have gotten picked up by the guard without prior enlisting? My research has shown me very few...

thank you for your time.

If I had a dime for every time this question was asked, I'd have a lot of dimes...

Learjetter is right though. It's a pretty split group. I enlisted my sophomore year, and it all worked out for me as far as getting great insight, advice, etc. My buddy got hired off the street, but he had a few thousand hours flying regionally.

So it all comes down to you personally, because it can go a million ways.

If you've read much on this board, you'll realize we're split about 60/40 on getting the degree first, or enlisting first. My personal opinion is get the degree first, then apply to units as a straight-up pilot applicant, or enlist after you get your degree, then try to get a UPT slot from within the unit. Both avenues have their merits, and whichever you choose the concept is the same: high GPA, be a good student/troop, and work your a$$ off. Good luck.

I agree with Learjetter. Work your tail off in school with a high GPA. Get in the 90s for your AFOQT Pilot and PCSM scores. Have your Private Pilot and Instrument (a big plus). Visit the squadron of choice once every other month. The Guard is pretty tough to get into even with the above, espicially for fighters. My advice would be to not narrow yourself just to fighters and just to Guard. Check out the reserves and heavy squadrons as well. I got picked up off the street so that is my point of view for this post. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I am honestly split. I'm going to visit the unit in December and and make my decision then.

I was also wondering, if I was hypothetically in the guard, would I still be able to apply to reserve units for UPT slots? or would I not be eligible due to my commitment to the guard. Also, what is everyone's thoughts on getting a reserve slot? is it similar to the guard in that you have to have your foot in the door, or is it more like an AD application process?

Thanks for the replies, I am honestly split. I'm going to visit the unit in December and and make my decision then.

I was also wondering, if I was hypothetically in the guard, would I still be able to apply to reserve units for UPT slots? or would I not be eligible due to my commitment to the guard. Also, what is everyone's thoughts on getting a reserve slot? is it similar to the guard in that you have to have your foot in the door, or is it more like an AD application process?

Yes, you can still apply to the reserve while being in the Guard. IMO Reserves tend to not be as much as inbreeders as the Guard.

I was also wondering, if I was hypothetically in the guard, would I still be able to apply to reserve units for UPT slots? or would I not be eligible due to my commitment to the guard.

Yes, you can apply for all three: Guard, Reserve, and AD UPT opportunites while enlisted in the guard. The paperwork that you will need a is called a conditional release, but that is way down the road. The only draw backs would be you may have to repay a portion of any signing bonus/ education momies you receive when you enlist depending on how much of your commitment you have serve. With only two years of college to go I am of the enlist at graduation portion of the group (and I enlisted in high school then went through college in the guard). The only exception to this is if you are currently a screw off in college and not progressing. In which case a year off to see a different lifestyle/ outside world may help ground you to finish your academics. If you are well on your way to graduating Summa Cum Laude or some derivative of that then I would keep your sails in the wind and get it done.