Reading my prescription

Guest Lee

Regarding how to read a perscription...

Yes, I have already "searched" - my specific question has not been dealt with.

Okay, I have (cyclo) +2.75 -1.50 by 097 OD. I simply want to know:

a.) would I need a "excessive refraction" waiver? To my understanding, I would not because +2.75 (+) -1.50 = +1.25 which is under the +2.00 cutoff. Is that correct? Do you add the hyperopia (2.75) to the astig (-1.50) to get the "meridian" total??

b.) my manifest refraction was under the standards both individually, and added together. As I am aware, I have not been looked at for a waiver. Thus, I am assuming that the above is how it is done-I also got some of my info from one of Rage's older posts on how to do the addition to get the total. I am simply wondering if I don't need a waiver because my manifest was under, OR, if I don't need one because I am corret about the way they add the astig and the hyperopia above?

Thanks...I wish to learn... ;)

[ 16. November 2006, 15:43: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest doctidy

You are not w/in AF Standards for vision, which are -1.50 to +2.00 in any meridian. You are +2.75.

However, you should be looked at favorably for a waiver as the AF waives up to +3.00 diopters (and again, your max is +2.75).

Rage,

I am a little confused because on this post:

http://www.dynamictruth.com/ubb/ultimatebb...083.html#000000

you say at the very bottom (last post on page) that the total amount of astigmatism is found by adding the two amounts together. You use another gentleman's refraction, but I assume it is the same for all. I guess I am wondering why the other gentleman's refraction numbers are added together to find his max, but in my case I use only the first +2.75 and don't add that to the second -1.50? - thus creating a "smaller" max.

I have seen mixed posts about this all across the web (on other military forums) and can't seem to iron out the rule and reason.

Guest doctidy

Its the max in any meridian. Every eye with astigmatism has two meridians.

Think of your correction as two corrections that intersect. In your case the intersection is at 097 degrees (thus the 097). In one meridian you are the first number +2.75. In the other meridian you are the combination of the first plus the second number (+2.75 - 1.50 = 1.25). Thus the greatest meridian in your case is the first number.

CLEAR? :D

• 1 year later...
Its the max in any meridian. Every eye with astigmatism has two meridians.

Think of your correction as two corrections that intersect. In your case the intersection is at 097 degrees (thus the 097). In one meridian you are the first number +2.75. In the other meridian you are the combination of the first plus the second number (+2.75 - 1.50 = 1.25). Thus the greatest meridian in your case is the first number.

CLEAR? :D

Rage,

Thanks a lot for everything you do. I am still confused though. My own personal measurements are below:

Left: Sph:-1.25 Cly:0.75 Axis: 75

Right: Sph: -1.25 Cly:-1.00 Axis 110

I am worried about my right eye more then the left. The second meridian would be -2.25 which would be over the -1.50. I already have a pilot slot from AFROTC and don't have my flight physical next year. Is this waiverable? If so, is it likely that I would be able to get a waiver? Do they give them out a lot? Finally, I was wondering what you would suggest would would naturally help to improve eyesight and refraction error. Thanks.

Guest P27:17
Rage,

Thanks a lot for everything you do. I am still confused though. My own personal measurements are below:

Left: Sph:-1.25 Cly:0.75 Axis: 75

Right: Sph: -1.25 Cly:-1.00 Axis 110

I am worried about my right eye more then the left. The second meridian would be -2.25 which would be over the -1.50. I already have a pilot slot from AFROTC and don't have my flight physical next year. Is this waiverable? If so, is it likely that I would be able to get a waiver? Do they give them out a lot? Finally, I was wondering what you would suggest would would naturally help to improve eyesight and refraction error. Thanks.

You should have no problems getting a waiver. I am unaware of any self-help eye fixes. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

You should have no problems getting a waiver. I am unaware of any self-help eye fixes. I wouldn't sweat it at all.

Hey thanks for all the help!

I just went to the eye doctor and here are my latest numbers:

OD: Sph:-1.25 Cyl:-1.25 Axis: 101

Would this be waiverable?

Also, I just found out that I have retinal lattice. It has no holes or tears. I looked it up on this forum and it stated should be waiverable...how much of a likelihood would I have of getting both waivers.

I have good perception and color vision. I'm just worried because I hear that if you have something wrong with the refracted error then they won't grant the waiver.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it!

Edited by jimbobpow13

Any flight docs out there who can help me?? Thanks!

Hey man...read my last post on "Suppression"...I covered it there.

I was trying to kill to birds with one stone...

Hey man...read my last post on "Suppression"...I covered it there.

I was trying to kill to birds with one stone...

P27,

I am dumb. Sorry. I should of been more specific. I have a lattice degeneration as well. No holes or tears..just a tiny bit of thinning from what my DR (D.O) said. I just want to make sure I have a good chance of getting the two waivers. I looked at the waiver guide and since my vision is no worse then 5.00 diopters I figured I had a good chance for both waivers. I just wanted to ask one of ya'll cause obviously you know the process. Again, sorry for bothering you and not being specific enough.

I'm finding out getting this physical is stressful!

P27,

I am dumb. Sorry. I should of been more specific. I have a lattice degeneration as well. No holes or tears..just a tiny bit of thinning from what my DR (D.O) said. I just want to make sure I have a good chance of getting the two waivers. I looked at the waiver guide and since my vision is no worse then 5.00 diopters I figured I had a good chance for both waivers. I just wanted to ask one of ya'll cause obviously you know the process. Again, sorry for bothering you and not being specific enough.

I'm finding out getting this physical is stressful!

You'll need a waiver and based on what you wrote you stand a good chance.

You'll need a waiver and based on what you wrote you stand a good chance.

P27,

Thanks a lot. I actually have another question for you. Kind of an odd ball one. I am taking my MCAT in May and applying soon afterwards. I was wondering if I took it in the beginning of July if I didn't feel prepared... how that could hurt my chances of getting interviews ect? I have a 3.53 gpa in biological physics. (I'm assuming your a flight surgeon)

Thanks again!