Ankle problems

Light Chop

I've already got my wings and am currently flying in my MWS (multi-crew member aircraft...not pointy nose type).

I've suffered many ankle sprains playing football in college. The orthopedic surgeon at one time suggested that I would need to seriously look into have a "modified brostrum" procedure to be performed on my ankle.

If I lay down on a table, with my ankle overhanging the edge, all a doctor would have to do is place his one hand and push down on my shin, and with the other, pull up behind the heel and see my enitre foot slip up and down about a good inch or so. I guess this is due to the amount and number of times the ligaments on the outer portion of the leg have been stretched.

I can do low impact cardio (nautilus machine)...and only do running when absolutely required (PT test and wing "fun runs"). I can do the low impact stuff without any problems, but running has been, and is increasingly growing more and more painful.

My question is this: If all the above info is mentioned to a flight doc, is there a possibility that I will be grounded until this is surgically corrected? I ask because at one time I was told that "ankle instability" can be grounds for DQ, but this was mentioed prior to me receiving my wings.

Is it possible that I can have it documented that due to this issue, I would not have to run, but perform all other physical tasks required (nautilus in the place of running?)

Or, would I open a can of worms and risk a LONG TERM DNIF (6 months or more with a surgery, rehab, and requal in the jet) if I go to the doc.

I am of the type that I will not go tot he flight doc unless my left nut is falling off, but being in my mid 20s and my ankle gradally getting worse, I am contemplating my "don't go to the flight doc" policy.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Guest doctidy

Light-

I certainly wouldn't ground you if you came in my shop. You've proven safe to fly w/ your ankle in its current condition for years...what's changed about it? Questions I would ask on whether to ground or not are:

- can he safely operate the rudders

- can he safely egress

If the answer to both of those is yes, then you don't need a DNIF.

What I'm saying is...you can have a medical problem which needs surgery but doesn't necessarily need grouning.

My vote...talk w/ the FS and the orthopedist to see if a repair will help it.

Guest doctidy

PS - Nothing you've told us suggests you have "ankle instability". Ankle instability (to the point of DNIF) means the ankle gives out on you when you walk to the point of the two questions I reference above.

• 2 years later...
Guest a_thomas

Back in high school during the old football glory days I sprained my ankle and never let it heal correctly I'm guessing because now basically with every 5-10 steps I make it makes a loud popping noise. It is worse when I walk up and down stairs as it nearly pops on every step. It's not painful for the most part. Every once in a while it becomes pretty painful and on a scale of 1-10 I would say probably a 5. When I go for runs I try to stretch it out and warm it up but it still pops. Also when I run it pops nearly every step. I'm thinking maybe it only pops when it reaches a certain extent. I'm just trying to figure out if you docs have ever heard about this or is it something that I should be concerned about? Is it something that I should go get looked at? Or maybe is it something I can go get repaired to stop the popping and the pain. I would like to be back to 100% Any questions about it just ask and I will happily respond whenever I have a chance.

a_thomas

EDIT: Spelling error

• 3 weeks later...
Guest a_thomas

I don't know if any "docs" are out there reading my post but it has only been viewed about 8 times since I revived it some I'm going to give it a little boost back to the top of the list.

:bohica:

I don't know if any "docs" are out there reading my post but it has only been viewed about 8 times since I revived it some I'm going to give it a little boost back to the top of the list.

:bohica:

From my doc...

"Sounds like a talor dome cartilage defect (covers the dome of the talus).

Really needs to go see an orthopedist that deals with ankle injuries.

Probably needs an MRI to determine what is going on. He would not be

eligible for the military (accession wise). If he is active duty and can't

keep up the jogging, he would need an MEB (assuming it doesn't get fixed).

These can be very problematic and they tend to get worse with age. He needs

to let someone look at it. "

Too much of this :bohica: may hurt as well...