Tinea Versicolor

Guest jbino17

Guest Jbino17

Is Tinea Versicolor going to DQ me on the flight physical, or even the initial physical for ROTC? I know other skin irritations do, but I didn't find anything on here about this one. I'll get into the specifics of my case (very mild) if there is reason for concern later. Thanks!

Guest Jbino17

I was thinking about taking an oral pill for it, but it would only be for 2 weeks. I don't have to because I don't mind the skin discoloration. Although it would be nice to know if that would be a factor in a physical. If I do try it and end up off it for awhile then I'll probably be okay right? Would I have to "need" it in order for it to be a problem?

Since it's not contagious, even if I have it I supposed I'm in the clear.

Guest doctidy

Are you daft or what?!

jbino17: "Since it's not contagious, even if I have it I supposed I'm in the clear."

Read what I wrote. The skin condition has nothing to do with it...its the medication. If you took the medication (took is a past tense verb)...it wouldn't be a problem. If you "are taking a medication for it" it (present tense verb which is exactly what I wrote)...it would be a problem.

Guest Jbino17

Hahaha...yes I was daft when I wrote it. Last leg of one really long night. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

• 2 years later...
Guest Toner

Thread Revival...slightly different question about Tinea Versicolor. As a flier will going to to the Flight Doc and getting on Diflucan or some oral medication DNIF me? If so, I'll deal with this mild condition...but I was curious if this could be taken care of easily..or if it was going to be a big deal. I took Diflucan a couple of years ago before flying etc and it worked well. I know there are some skin creams and stuff...but I haven't had much success with those.

Had this condition several years ago - had to option of taking the pills (would have DNIF'd me back then) - instead opted for the topical treatment (apply Selsun-Blue creme over affected area) and it worked! Bottom Line - the pill will DNIF you while you are on the meds; topical ointment will not.

Guest Toner
Had this condition several years ago - had to option of taking the pills (would have DNIF'd me back then) - instead opted for the topical treatment (apply Selsun-Blue creme over affected area) and it worked! Bottom Line - the pill will DNIF you while you are on the meds; topical ointment will not.

Good to know...thanks!