Speech Impediment.

Guest LeviJ88

Guest LeviJ88

Is Speech Impediment from past hearing loss consider DQ'd? And if so, can I get it wavied?

Guest rtstolwo

I do not know the answer but I assume you will need more info for the guys qualified to answer you, so in the effort of saving you some time:

DQ from what...flying? enlisting?

"past hearing loss"...do you still have hearing loss? do you wear a hearing aid?

Which service?

My completely unprofessional and uneducated opinion: I'd be more concerned about the hearing loss than a speech impediment, I can hardly imagine them keeping you out because you sound deaf. If they were to try that I can only imagine the discrimination lawsuits they'd be inviting. The hearing loss however, like I said, completely different story.

Good Luck

[ 05. July 2006, 00:33: Message edited by: rtstolwo ]

clear speech is an issue, because there is a test requiring you to read a paragraph in clear english for an AF doc. Not sure at what point this was in the "poke & prod" process, but like said above, I would be more worried about the hearing loss.

Guest doctidy

You have to be able to communicate well. Radio transmissions are prone to static, garble, etc. You also have to be able to hear well...same reason. We've set up some standards to try to help us make that decision but would look at individual cases.

You're going 160 miles an hour on landing, over 300 on a bombing or strafing run. There is no room for "could you repeat that".

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by drewpey:

...there is a test requiring you to read a paragraph in clear english for an AF doc.

FYI: When the doc hands you the paper and instructs you to begin reading the first paragraph, make sure the first paragraph isn't the instructions.

It took the doc about three sentences to figure out what the hell I was doing.

Guest LeviJ88

Thanks for your answers. Hearing loss was from allergic reactions and sinuses messing with me when I was a infant. No I do not have a hearing aid(Thank god) and I do hear perfectly fine now. I'm talking about flying.I passed a FAA medical, and didn't have to have my speech tested.

Guest sleepy

You are always tested for FAA physicals, whether you know it or not. Many FAA docs test your hearing/speech just by talking to you.