Arthritis questions

Guest Otto

Guest Otto

I'm a rated airlift pilot in the Air National Guard (8 years) and after 32 years of perfect health, I suddenly started having achy joints in my hands and feet several months ago. It was never bad enough to affect my flying but I decided to mention it to my family docter as I could tell something was not right. He refered me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis. He put me on an anti-inflamatory called sulfasalizine which seems to have taken care of the problem.

I feel fine but after investigating the air force regs, I'm wondering if I have a prayer of getting a waiver for this condition. Has anyone had any experience with this or have any suggestions?

Guest doctidy

We've waived Sulfasalazine many a time and have waived psoriatic arthritis as well. Sounds like you are in a multiplace aircraft as well. I think you have a better than average chance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Otto

You have seen psoriatic arthritis waived in the past? I looked up Psoriasis in AFPAM 48-132 and it did not sound encouraging. In section IV (Waiver Considerations) under USAF experience, it says "no aviators with associated arthritis received waivers". Am I reading this incorrectly? I hope so...this has been stressing me big time!

Guest doctidy

I queried AIMWTS...the aeromedical waiver database. And yes, I have found that the AF has waived rated aviators, including pilots, for psoriatic arthritis treated w/ Sulfasalazine. Positive waiver will depend on "the rest of the story".

Were you really looking at AFPAM48-132 or the Waiver Guide. The Waiver Guide was last updated in '99. AFPAM 48-132 was probably updated around the turn of the century and isn't available electronically! My query is as of today.

Guest Otto

I had a photocopy from AFPAM 48-132 that came from our wings medical group...not sure what the date is on it as I only have two pages! Thank you for taking the time to look up that information. It sounds like I should roll the dice and keep my fingers crossed.

• 5 months later...

I did a search relating to degenerative back arthritis but did not have much luck finding any related information.

I have just been diagnosed with mild degenerative back arthritis. I'm only 23 and I'm concerned this might be a show stopper for me.

Is this a DQ? what would be the odds of a wavier? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Duece,

Arthritis of the spine, any type is DQing. A waiver would probably depend on the symptoms, treatment, and the dibilitation of the disease.

I'll defer to one of the docs on chances for a waiver...

Good luck

Guest doctidy

As long as it isn't associated w/ a disease process...Reiter's Syndrome, Ankylosing Spondyloarthritis, etc (a chance to throw out the big words!!)...you should be okay.

• 5 years later...