I have an osteochondral defect...

PropWash

So, about a month ago I hurt my left knee at PT. I went to a local urgent care center, they x-rayed it and said no worries its a bad sprain.

I just got back from an orhopeodist. Apparently I have what they call an osteochodral defect, which is basically a big (roughly marble sized?) piece of bone has chipped away from the end of my femur at the knee. I'm getting an MRI this Friday which will most likely be followed by surgery (not the orthoscopic variety) to screw said chip back in.

I just got picked up for a pilot slot 2 weeks ago... give me good news doc.

Guest Apollo

I'm no doc, but there have been plenty of people get knee surgery and go in. I wouldn't think you would be any different.

Guest F16PilotMD

This will be a pain in the neck but you will probably be okay. You will require a waiver for the hardware they leave in your knee and maybe for the injury/surgery itself. Details matter here. If you heal up without issue and have full use of the knee, you should be fine.

Where is your pilot slot?

I'm not sure what you mean by where, Im in my third year of ROTC and just got it. I have two more semesters before I graduate. I'm going to interrogate the orthopeodist this Friday when I get the MRI.

Add torn ACL to the list... looks like im due some fairly substantial surgery this summer. The doc said probably no weight bearing for 8 weeks (because theyre fixing the defect and the ACL in one surgery). Fun stuff...

Guest KoolKat

I'm quite sure he meant ROTC.

2 semesters means an entire year.

Get the surgury, take the time to heal up as best you can, and get the full range of motion back.

It should all work out for you. Like FD said, your going to have a lot of ass pain paperwork, but it should be ok.

BENDY