Keratoconus

Guest smokescreen

Guest smokescreen

Well I had PRK 2 yrs ago and when they were doing the corneal topography for the surgery they said that from what they say that I might be at risk for keratoconus. My Dad does have it so I guess I would be at risk. They said I've got about 20% chance of it developing. Now my question is I'm pretty much DQ'd from pilot right? I cant see the Air Force risking it with this eye condition. I just wanted to hear it from the doctors in this section to be sure.

Guest XQSME

My dad has keratoconus as well. I went to Brooks in Jan and 3 weeks later I was medically cleared to fly. Unless you have it right now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Guest smokescreen

Yeah but they were saying I showed early signs of it but it could be nothing but they said there were signs. So I just wanted to hear the docs opinions on this.

Guest doctidy

Depends on your corneal topography. If you are showing signs of it, we won't qualify you. It all depends on what your ophthalmologist considers "showing signs of it" and what we consider "showing signs of it".

Only way to know is apply.

• 3 months later...
Guest ldamon

I am going for my FC1 (pilot), and my civilian doc tells me that I have astigmatism in my left eye @ -1.75

To my knowledge, this is waiverable. -Here is the full perscription:

O.D. +1.00 (sphere), -0.50 (cylin), 95 (axis)

20/40 correctable to 20/20

O.S. +1.00 (sphere), -1.75 (cylin), 85 (axis)

20/30 correctable to 20/20

REAL QUESTION:

Doc said I was farsighted (hyperopia). I have read/heard a lot concerning a test for keratoconus that I would have to take, and that people with this much astigmatism may have some form of it (and that it is DQing). I have also heard that if you are farsighted instead of nearsighted, and have an astigmatism, that you probably do NOT have keratoconus. Is this true?

I hope the answer is yes, it would really ease my mind.

Also, any thoughts/observations that RAGE or the others could make regarding my vision stats would be GREATLY appreciated.

-LD

Guest doctidy

Lee:

Your vision stats are fine. If you get to MFS, you will get corneal topography...which will look at the contour of your cornea. If you have keratoconus OR pre-keratoconus, you will be DQ, no waiver.

Haven't I answered this question in the past week?

Guest ldamon

Thanks for the quick reply, Rage, still I am wondering if keratoconus is more often linked with nearsightedness or farsightedness? I have heard a number of opinions...

-LD

Dude, if you are really worried about the corneal topo, go to a civilian eye doctor and have one done. I did this, it cost me 40 bucks, and put my mind at ease. The statistics are in your favor for not having keratoconus or keratoconus suspect.

Guest doctidy

I don't know if keratoconus is more often w/ near or farsightedness. If it happens to you it doesn't matter, does it? You are an N of 1.