Renal Colic

Guest BigDH01A

Guest BigDH01A

So I'm trying to enlist in the Air Force so that I can attend the Defense Language Institute. I just graduated from college and am more interested in learning a new language and possibly going to OTS later. I've passed everything except that last August I passed a kidney stone. I have retained stones in my parenchyema. I knew the MEPS would disqualify me and that a waiver would be required. I found this:

http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/consult_servi...nal%20Colic.htm

It says that retained stones are waiverable providing conditions are met. I believe I meet those conditions but understand that I should see an Air Force urologist. The recruiter came back and said the MEPS surgeon claims I'm permanently disqualified and that I'm not recommended for a waiver. The recruiter said I'm just out of luck. I pointed him to that website which he's never heard of, and he thinks it's just for people already enlisted. I don't know. I've since written the president, vice president, secretary of defense, secretary of the air force, both my senators, and my representative. I've told all of them that I have a lot of potential (graduated with a degree in microbiology, spent last four semesters on the Dean's list, active in school, scored 117 on DLAB) and want to serve my country. It'd be a shame if I was permanently disqualified because a couple of stones when I don't even plan on flying.

Has anyone else had experience with renal stones and waivers? Does the Brooks website apply to people trying to enlist? What are my options now?

Thanks for any input.

Guest doctidy

The Brooks site that you list is for aviators.

I think you've done the right thing by writing your representative. He should get you a good look at your case.

Guest doctidy

because what you are referencing is not for initial flying training. Its for already trained aircrew.

So yes, if we already have invested a year of training, taken the slot from someone w/o medical problems, $1M, to get you trained we would let you flying knowing that you WILL have further kidney stone problems.

However, if we haven't made all that investment, we may not.