Viral myocarditis

Guest msmith16

Guest msmith16

I was diagnosed with viral myocarditis 3 years ago and had my afrotc scholarship snatched out from under me for it last year, is all lost? Also, I have something like 20/25 vision with a slight astigmatism which evidently put me into the not ppq catagory. Anything I can do about either problem? I am currently not connected to the military in any way shape or form, fyi i guess.

Guest doctidy

Viral myocarditis has a huge range of disease manifestation. I would wonder if you were actually disqualified for the disease or some problem associated w/ it (irregular heart beat, dilation of the heart, associated pericarditis, etc, etc).

Your vision may not meet standards, but it doesn't sound like you couldn't get a waiver for it.

Why don't you reapply? Its the only way you are going to find out. Anything is possible!

Guest msmith16

Well, there was this thing about an occasional t-wave inversion dependeing on heartrate but it was determined by my cardiologist that it was normal for me and not a result of the myocarditis. The DQ said that it was because of the myocarditis, it didn't mention anything else as a disqualifier, but I guess it could still be what you said. And I think my astigmatism is +/-(not sure which) 1.25 diopters. I talked with the NCO's at the Det. at my school and they just printed out a sheet saying why I was DQ'd and said sorry. The thing that really throws me off was that the people I talked to at DODMERB said that the myocarditis really wasn't much of a show stopper and that it would most likely be cleared, then I the DQ letters, it didn't seem to add up. Sorry for the long post.

Guest msmith16

Also, tons of people I've talked (pilots, navs,even retired flight docs) to have told me to "just get checked out and tested by an airforce cardiologist, and if everything is OK, then you should be cleared", but I don't know who to talk to to get this done, any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest msmith16

This question is mainly for Rage or F16pilotMD, but if anyone else has any other insights, feel free.

If Aortic Insufficiancy (from what I have read, it is a potential complication from myo/endocarditis) is waiverable, then why would they deny my myocarditis waiver when I had absolutley no complications?

Guest doctidy

The complication you are talking about does not necessarily occur today or immediately after you were ill. It can occur down the road.

I'd continue to press forward as has been suggested. I think you will ultimately get a favorable decision.