Laparoscopic appendectomy

rdo0022

I am currently in UPT an had my appendix removed via the laroscopic method this past weekend. Everything went fine and now I am home resting. I was wondering if anyone has heard of how long this side lines pilots especially those that are in airframes the pull G's on a regular basis.

At this point my return is based on when I can demonstrate a proper G strain and not be in pain. I am just looking for any insight from anyone that might have been on a similar situation or knows anyone that was. Thanks.

Guest F16PilotMD

You are likely looking at about 7-10 days at least. Don't push it. I recommend waiting until you feel perfect and then two more days.

• 1 year later...

To add to this question, I am going into my first year of college and I had my appendix out when I was really young. I heard somewhere that the scar on your stomach could effect your first class medical. Is this True?

To add to this question, I am going into my first year of college and I had my appendix out when I was really young. I heard somewhere that the scar on your stomach could effect your first class medical. Is this True?

Where'd you hear that? Maybe here?

Nice try. If at first you don't get an answer and your thread gets locked, try, try again.

Try doing some research next time. In other threads you will see AFI 48-123V3 referenced several times. It can be accessed on this site (also referenced on this site several times) and has the answers you are looking for.

Page 53.

A4.20. Abdomen and Gastrointestinal System.

A4.20.1. Flying Classes I, IA, II and III.

A4.20.1.6. Wounds, injuries, scars, or weakness of the muscles of the abdominal wall which are

sufficient to interfere with function.

Does the scar cause you any problems? If not, I would say that you are probably OK, but I'm no flight doc. How do you think they did appendectomies before they came up with laparoscopic methods?

Guest P27:17
Where'd you hear that? Maybe here?

Nice try. If at first you don't get an answer and your thread gets locked, try, try again.

OK...let's end with this...if they take your appendix...via the laroscopic or with a butter knife...as long as they didn't goof up and leave something in there or your healing is beyond bad...you should be good to go!

Bottomline...you heard wrong!